Spin off of a journal: Would you let your child play with a child that has AIDS?

I don't know. I have never been presented with that. But, I wouldn't let my child play with a child that has hepatitis, the avian flu, scarlet fever or any other deadly contagious illness.
I think I probably wouldn't. I am an intelligent woman, knowledgeable in health matters. I know how AIDS is transmitted.
I'm sorry for the children that have this disease. But my job is simple. Protect my children. Why am I in the wrong here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Health

• I'm afraid that I have to say.... I feel the same way!

I dated a guy for a while that had a gay brother with AIDS. When the brother came over to my house it kinda gave me the willies! It didn't help that he was VERY flamboyant about being gay though. So that in combination with his AIDS was hard for me to deal with. (he was obviously sick is the thing, very skinny, very pale, ect) He always wanted to play with my kids.... and I let him, but I was nervous.

I'm glad that I don't have him visiting me anymore since I broke it off with his good-for-nothing brother!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• you know what? There is a BIG chance your kids ARE PLAYING WITH KIDS WITH HIV & AIDS. Kids that have it are allowed to attend public school. Yup its scary but like you said, you know how its transmitted. Educated your kids on that so they know what precautions to take (no 'blood brothers, etc) Geez people shut up about this already
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My kids are homeschooled so no they are not playing with kids that to anyones knowledge have AIDS.
    I find it odd that children that have AIDS and/or HIV are allowed to attend school, but kids with chicken pox or lice are not. At least those are not fatal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• If I new they have any of those then I'm sorry for the kids that have them but I would never let my kids play with them
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:11 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I'd like to say yes, because it's not the child's fault, but im not sure i would because if they both got a cut and the blood mixed, my child could get it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• "but im not sure i would because if they both got a cut and the blood mixed,"

My thought were bleeding gums or a sore in the mouth and then they share a cup. That kinda worries me. I know, slim chance... but still kinda worries me.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:35 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Absolutely, why not, I would take precautions if something should happen, but yeah I would be more than happy to let my children play with a child that has AIDS.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 7:23 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• "I find it odd that children that have AIDS and/or HIV are allowed to attend school, but kids with chicken pox or lice are not. At least those are not fatal. "

I had to LOL, sorry. Chicken Pox and Lice are VERY highly contagious no matter what you do! HIV/AIDS can be avoided with strict precautions!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I'm very sorry if I offend, really I am.....but I am far more open minded than that. I have had a family member pass from HIV and you can't catch it like 'cooties'....it just doesn't jump off or become airborne or anything like that for certain.

I also happen to work for doctors that specialize in workers' compensation. We have had many many many needlestick injuries involving our patient being stuck (some hospital workers like nurses, even a dentist once) with a needle from a source that is known to have HIV....high-risk needlesticks. I have never heard back of a single one converting to HIV positive from that exposure. Not a single one. In that type of high-risk situation, you are still far more likely to get hep C than AIDS.

The easiest thing to do to keep yourself and your children safe is to treat ALL people as if they do in fact have AIDS or hep C...but I suppose that would make some of you very lonely.
    Anonymous