My daughter is almost 3 and she has been speaking pretty normal for some time now... But just 2 weeks ago she started stuttering very badly. What could have caused this? And is there anything I can do to make her stop?

Speach problems, stutter

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well what was going on about 2 weeks ago..in her life your life a siblings life and so on. write it down if you need to to find a pattern. It may just be nervousness or something like that. Hope its nothing serious
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My nephew has been in speach therapy for about a year. He was playing on a toddler toy, fell off backwards and hit his head. My sister said he didn't hit that hard, but he started stuttering. They waited for about a week to get him tested and it turns out that he had a concusion.
    If you can think of any falls or anything I would get her checked out just to be safe. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:08 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• More than likely your daughter has recently had an big increase in her language skills. You said she was talking normally at first. It is typical of children your daughters age to have language bursts. Because of this, your daughter has much to say and many more words in her vocabulary to use when she speaks. When she speaks, she is trying to use all her new words, is talking quickly and excitedly and cannot get it all out at once in a smooth fluent way. This causes the stuttering. Stuttering at her age is a typical thing. What is important is that you and others do not draw a lot of attention to the stuttering. People often want to say things like," Slow down when you talk or listen to yourself, stop stuttering." or they try to help her. The more you say about the stuttering and the more she is self concious of it, the worse. Instead of calling her attention to it, just model slow, easy speech for her when you talk
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• (continued) I meant to say that her stuttering may become worse if she is made to be to self concious about it. When you are listening to her and she is having trouble getting words out, don't make faces or tell her to get her words out. Just wait patiently for her words and when you are taking to her do not speak quickly, Slow your speech down and stretch your words out without telling her what you are doing. You are just providing her with a model for her speech.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Almost all kids stutter at one point or another. If it doesn't go away in a few months or if it gets worse, speak with your doctor about it.

As for making her stop...the worst thing you can do is try to force her to stop. Her mind is moving faster than her mouth right now. Just be patient and let her get it out in her own way. Don't speak for her, don't offer her words that you THINK she's trying to say....just let her know, "I'm listening. Take your time."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Shoot...sometimes I even stutter. I have days where I get tongue tied and just can't get the words out of my mouth.

My kids stutter and stamor when they get excited or upset and try to explain something. I talk calmly and tell them slow down and take your time, I'm still listening, just slow down. After they slow down they spit it right out.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• It's common.
    At this point, her brain is putting out thoughts much faster than her lips can keep up.
    The best thing to do is to patiently wait until she finishes her thought. Don't finish her sentence or correct her in any way. Just calmly and patiently wait. Once she knows she has your attention, that you aren't going to rush off to do something, she'll realize she can slow down and take her time.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• if it gets worse have her hearing checked we had a similar prob with my son and he had to have surgery on his ears
    littleleesmom

Answer by littleleesmom at 1:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2009