How do you define mission work?

Do you define it as going out and telling people about your religion and trying to get them to change? Or do you look at it as helping the less fortunate to SHOW how your religion has changed you and made you a better person and then answering their questions when/if you are asked?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 5:27 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Personally, I show people the love of Jesus, or at least I try to. From time to time, I have had the opportunity to give food and clothes to those in need. It is a wonderful feeling. When and if they ask questions, I answer what I can and invite them to church.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 6:33 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Actions speak louder than words. Mission work is going and becoming the servant of someone in need so that perhaps they might feel lead to inquire about why you do what you do. It is then that you have the opportunity to share your spiritual motivation if they are open to it :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:36 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• You know, I think this a great question. Some mission organizations focus mostly on social work, and some mission organizations focus mostly on the gospel, but also do social work.

I personally contribute more to the ones that focus on both. But yes, I believe that the most important part of mission work is evangelism. I won't support organizations unless they are actively preaching the gospel as they provide relief. I think it should go hand in hand.

There is a book called "Revolution in World Missions" you can actually get it for free if you go to www.gfa.org. Anyways this book changed the way I thought of missions.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:31 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I believe that ALL mission work should be with the main focus of helping those in need. Most is done with association to a particular religion, so that aspect is usally there as well. Most Christian missions are there specifically to share the word of God while helping those in need. I am not sure about other religion's missions, though.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• it's work I'm on a mission to preform, lol. No I know what you really mean. But since I'm not part of the religions that do mission work.. I can't really answer from their POV.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• It is not a matter of trying to make people change. My son just returned from earthquake relief/ mission work in Costa Rica. They were there to help others and to teach about Jesus Christ. If the Costa Rican's aren't interested in the religous part, ok. The first objective was to help the other people and SHOW God's love.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2009