is it bad to be around cats while pregnant?

i have heard that u cant be around cats and their litter. well my cat just had kittens and i was wondering if i should stay away from them??
11 weeks pregnant

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you arent supposed to be near their litter box dont change it dont be around it and your fine
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Cats are fine to be around, it's the litter you need to stay away from ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 7:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• You can get toxioplasmosis from the feces, but cats themselves are fine to be around.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• If so I am in trouble since 2 are lying on my leg right now (I am 27 weeks). Seriously just have someone else clean the litterbox to be safe.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Being around cats is fine. I carry my cat all the time. (Took him to the vet the other day!) But the litter is a different story. I have my husband clean it.
    mommyin08of09

Answer by mommyin08of09 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Its ok to be around them but remember if you get scratched those claws were in the litter and you can get toxoplasmosis from that (its not as likely as if you are messing with the litter but be careful of scratches.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 11:06 AM on Jul. 7, 2009