Are amnio's necessary? What are the reasons for needing one?

I am 33 and 13 weeks along with this pregnancy. I have a son that's 8 and I felt movement 2 weeks ago (odd I know) and nothing since then. I'm nervous, like most mothers, that something will be wrong with the baby. DH says I need to have an amnio and I don't want one, I'm scared of needles and my dr hasn't mentioned anything to me about needing one.

I would not abort the baby if something were found to be wrong.

Has anyone else had one? I've heard that it's often wrong with results.

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 8:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The reason conversations about amnio refer to abortions is because they can provoke them.

Amnio is not a non-invasive, completely-safe optional test done to put people's minds at ease -- however much a great many doctors and a great many more soap opera writers think that may be the case. The complications of amnio start with the risks of stabbing the fetus and end with induced miscarriage (spontaneous abortion, brought on by the procedure).

The general risk-benefit assessment for doing amnio at all is to weigh the reasons for doing it (in order to know about genetic abnormalities before it is too late to terminate the pregnancy safely and easily -- without having to go through late-stage labour and delivery of a dead fetus, always a traumatic event for families) against the risks of accidentally terminating a healthy pregnancy. Or injuring a healthy fetus.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:08 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• no you dont need one drs only do them if they worry about something too its not a needed thing
    they also dont usually do them til later well my drs office wont i wouldnt worry if your only 13 weeks then all you reallly will feel is small flutters
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• There is no medical need to do an amnio, except in very specific situations. Don't let the docs bully you.
    EmKirk

Answer by EmKirk at 8:47 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• her dr isnt she said her HUSBAND told her she needed one !
    read geeze she said her dr hasnt said anything about it !
    no they are not needed i agree dont worry ! good luck and congrats !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Why in the hell does every conversation about an amnio have to have "abortion" in it? One has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OTHER! Just because a woman decides to have an amnio has nothing to do with whether or not she would abort. That's just stupid to assume it does, and not fair to anyone.

No one HAS to have one. EVER. You always have the right to say "no" It's a very simple word.

You think you felt movement at 13 weeks and now you feel nothing. So? That's not unusual. Feeling movement at 13 weeks is more unusual.

You can see if the baby is "okay" with a simple ultrasound, or even go in and have the doctor check for the heartbeat with the doppler.

An amnio is not wrong with results! For crying out loud, it's GENETIC TESTING. Unless someone screws up and vials get switched, you're not going to get the wrong results. An amnio or CVS (more risky than amnio) are actual tests, not screenings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Most amnios are done at about 12 weeks, not later as the other poster said.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• yes they are done later my dr said that if things didnt get better with my daughter i was going to have one at 36 weeks
    nto earlier
    alot of people have them later to check the babies lungs
    duh !
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Amniocentesis is usually performed during the 15th week of pregnancy or later. CVS is usually performed between the 10th and 12th weeks of pregnancy.

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/women/pregnancy/fetal/144.html

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Results of an amnio CAN be wrong. Proven this year by my daughter who had a daughter on April 18th. The amnio showed chromosonal abnormalities, but the baby is fine, nothing wrong with her.
    When your pregnant the second time usually the babies are quieter then the first one. That is because you up and moving around a lot more. The fetus sleeps then. When you sleep at night, the fetus is more active.
    To test and help yourself relax about fetal movements......drink some orange juice or eat some candy, or drink a soda. Then wait a half hour and lie down....and you should feel movement , at least once every fifteen minutes and most likely a lot more with all that sugar in your system.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 9:37 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• You would not need an amnio because you felt the baby move early - an ultrasound would be fine to check on the baby - you may just be farther along than you thought. Amnio's are only done 16-20 for genetic testing. They are also done towards the end of a pregnancy to check to see if a baby's lungs are ready for delivery if they need to deliver early. I personally have had 2 - one at the end of my last 2 pregnancies to check the lungs. They weren't as bad as you think. You don't need to watch the needle they will have a monitor were you can see the baby & you can watch that to keep your mind off of it. I have had one w/ the shot to numb & one w/o the shot to numb - my advice go w/o out the shot to numb - it hurt more that the amnio. Good luck & don't stress, your doctor will take good care of you and your baby :)
    paiges6

Answer by paiges6 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 7, 2009