Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

father up and leaves wife and 3 young kids..what should she do?

this is or a friend and a fellow cafemom. just one day her husband decided he hates his life bought a plane ticket and went to the small kids said daddy is moving away. left the kids screaming and crying and not knowing whats going on. and he got on plane ( bout an hour later ) now she only has 30 days to live in there rented home and bills that are due ( her husband had an arrangement with power comp that HE didnt pay ) car payments and everything else..the husband wasent working he gets a disabilty check and he also gets a check from the goverment for the 3 kids. what are her rights what can she get from him he had the nerve to call her the next day and say " when the check comes in can u send it to me" i told her not to send it, besides its the check he gets for the kids but seeing its in his name she cant cash it. he left her high and dry and screwed is there anything she can do to help her and kids out?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (3)
  • uh yeah. first she needs to notify the people who writes his checks that he abandoned the family. They will stop paying him the money for that. Second, she needs to get full custody of the kids. Third file for child support. While doing this she also needs to see if there are any family members willing to help her out until she gets up on her feet.


    Answer by soonmommyof3 at 9:10 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • If he is on disability she should be getting a check as well. Tell her to return the check to SSI, do NOT forward it to him. He should have given SSI his new address or had it direct deposited. Tell her to go to a lawyer (legal aid) and get custody of the kids so the check for the kids will come to her. Tell her to act quickly before rent is due again.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • I agree with admckenzie. If she needs help (with things for her or the kids) she should contact agencies in her area- United Way, Catholic Charities, Salvation Army, local area churches, food pantry, Lutheran Social Services--- they may be able to help her or direct her to places that can.
    I hope everything works out for her!

    Answer by MizLee at 11:06 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.