Anyone ever buy a house or have a house that had termites?

My husband and I are looking a house that there is a possibility that it has termites. We would be buying it below appraisal price. How hard and expensive is it to get rid of termites? Any information would get greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Yes, ours did. It was pretty expensive to get treatment, but the treatment is supposed to be good for 15 years or something. I think it was around a thousand or more. Call an exterminator or two and ask. We pay $200 a year now to have the place rechecked, which since the original treatment was supposed to last so long seems odd to me, but I've seen the destruction that can happen and really don't want any further damage. Our neighbor had to have their kitchen cabinets taken down and the inside walls there replaced. The fix that we had done involved putting plugs all along the house, outside, and also including drilling along the porches to put the plugs in there.

Answer by Bmat at 9:08 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• its not that hard or expensive, if you just caught sight of them, and the damage is very minimal. if its under a termite contract, the termite co./owners are responsible for repairs.why would you consider it if there is obviously termite damage? doesn't the state/bank/somebody require a termite inspection, before the purchase? i'd make sure i trusted the inspector greatly, before buying this house-you can fix damage, but just be sure what you see, is what you got.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:05 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Well my husband and I are going to look at the house tonight, but my friends friend lived in the house before it and it got taken back by the bank and is now bank owned. But she said that it had termites and they quit giving/doing the termite treatments when they knew they were going to lose the house. So we will be looking at it tonight and we'll ask all about it. And my dads a carpenter and he's going so he'll be able to see.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Get an appraiser or two out there and get quotes and that will let you know how much it will cost.
    Appraising should be free
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 9:20 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Our house had both a termite and powder post beetle problem. We were aware of the termite problem before we even bid on the house, it was already corrected. Minimum damage from the termites and it was treated. During the home inspection before we closed, we found out about the powder post beetles and the damage was BAD. We had to have the seller change out all the joists and sills under the house. They had to jack up the house to do that. It was bad, and cost her almost 20 grand.
    Just be careful. If the damage isn't bad and caught in time, termites aren't that much of a problem. You really need to see what kind of damage is done from the WDI. Good luck!
    Rachie7987

Answer by Rachie7987 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 7, 2009