Did anyone get an episiotomy?

I was wondering if anyone has ever had an episiotomy. I am starting to think about everything but I'm not sure if I could go through that. How was it?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 9:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i didnt but it couldnt be much worse then tearing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I did. Honestly, I didn't really feel it. I mean, I felt it, but since I was already hurting, it wasn't that bad. I know before they stitched me up they gave me a shot there to numb the area, but I can't remember if they gave me one before they cut me. I don't think they did. But again, you'll already be in pain, so I don't think you'll really hurt that much more.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:15 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I wish I did! I tore really bad and I think an episiotomy would have been a lot less painful. Watch this video and it will show you just how small a cut is. I was nervous about getting it done but I saw this video before I had my baby and wasn't worried anymore. But, the stupid doctor didn't do one! http://video.about.com/pregnancy/What-is-an-Episiotomy-.htm
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• You want the doctor to give you one if one is needed. The reason is because then you won't rip open as the head comes out. Its much easier to heal a straight line cut. The healing process is much faster and less painful. You won't feel the doctor do it at all. You might not even be aware he is doing it at the time unless he tells you. I had to have it done twice, my first pregnancy and my third. I had four pregnancies, four daughters.
    If you refuse and you rip then you will have many jagged ends of where the rip is inside your vagina and on the outer lips. This is difficult for the doctor to put stitches into. More bleeding will occur too although nothing compared to the childbirth bleeding itself.
    Good luck and congratulations!
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 9:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• i tore and then they cut me. i had an epidural so i didnt feel a thing. i saw the scapel as he picked it up and said "ok hes gonna cut me" and layed back down. lol. i was so tired and more focused on getting the baby out.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:23 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• i had one but my epidural didn't work so i felt it, it only hurt for a few seconds and it's way better than ripping GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:38 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• well thank you for all the advice
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 9:43 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I loved mine.I was pushing for a long time and right after they cut me she came out. My doctor gave me a shot before she did it i didnt feel anything.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:49 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Tears heal faster.

The only way to get a 4th degree tear (the one that tears from vagina through rectum) is to have been cut first.

Episiotomies cut through muscle, whereas tears only tear skin. Episiotomies are easier to doctors to stitch up, which so totally matters to me. You?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Episiotomies cut through muscle,

my doctor didn't cut the muscles, he cut the skin
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 7, 2009