Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you pay for college/school after becoming a Mom?

I would love to go back to school but I don't think we would have the money. My fiance is paying back his school loans and that will be til who knows how long, and I'm a SAHM thinking of maybe going back to school. I don't think I would want to get into loans and dealing with them either. Is it easier for mom's to get help or what?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (11)
  • what do you mean help ? there is either student loans or out of your pocket
    unless your lucky enough to et a grant

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • See if you can apply for some scholarships or apply for a grant. I paid for my college through student loans and I was lucky enough to get subsidized loan to where the interest is not charged until after you graduate.

    Answer by usmc0351wife at 9:28 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • Apply for financial aid, there are a lot of scholarships out there, you just have to be willing to look for them. I was lucky enough to get funding from the state of Wisconsin because I am a Dislocated Worker, they pay for all tuition and books for 2 years. I also applied for financial aid and am eligible for a $5300 grant. Talk to the financial aid office where you would go to school, they will be able to help you out.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:30 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • www.fasfa,gov.

    grants, but the only thing is I think the deadline may have passed, not sure though.

    Answer by ArmyWife9-2-08 at 9:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • I had financial aid through my school, plus I earned a number of grants through having good grades & meeting specific criteria.

    In addition to grants, private & federal education loans, there are also full & partial scholarship programs available if you meet the criteria for them. If you go into certain fields of study & are willing to meet certain conditions, there are programs that give you loan forgiveness (usually for nurses & teachers). Some employers offer tuition reimbursement for each year that you work for them or for each year that you promise to work for them after you graduate. There are also special grants and/or loans often available if you belong to certain organizations, like the Rotary Club, Lions, religious organizations, other social clubs, etc.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:06 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • I went back to school when I was a single mother. By taking only Tuesday/Thursday classes I was able to go to school full time and also work almost full time. I received some scholarships and took out loans to cover any remaining school expenses that I could not pay out of pocket; I never took out loans for anything beyond school expenses. When I graduated I had only about $15,000 in student loans at a very low interest rate, and my monthly payments were only about $100. If you don't over-borrow and you actually complete your degree you should be able to make enough money to pay off your loans. Also, if you are just getting started try community or junior colleges for lower tuition. Good luck!

    Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:39 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • community colleges cost less than four year colleges and a lot are transferrable to four years now too. one of my kids is doing distant learning, it's not tuition cheaper but it saves on gas going back and forth x days a week. Instead she goes in for occassional tests and twice a week for clubs.
    We've taken out student loans through financial aid plus have paid ours on a great payment plan. And some four year colleges's agreements with community collleges are that a student can do the 4 year learning at a two year campus commuting from home whereever.

    Also four year colleges allow commuting students too. And going part time instead of full time taking one or two years longer maybe three to get what ever degree cuts costs too. To do that though you need insurance only through the college or employers insurance or state insurance that will cover part time students as well as covering full time.

    Good luck mommy, YEAH!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • I had a scholarship that paid for the first half of my bachelors and now I am having to do loans to finish it up.

    Answer by purpleducky at 10:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • I applied for scholarships and grants and loans. Sometimes there are scholarships for some underrepresented careers for women. There are lots of ways. I did it! I only racked up about $8,000 in student loans, the rest was paid for!

    Answer by beccimae at 12:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

  • Go to and fill out an application for student aid. It is free and based on your income and total number of dependents. I also use our tax return to pay for more classes. Just make sure you discuss it with your fiance first. Also, to save money take as many classes at a community college then transfer to a 4 year university. Good luck!

    Answer by katie23 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.