Why yes I AM old enough, thanks for asking! (Grrr). Where to people get off?

So the other day I was with my 1 year-old son in a public place and this lady comes up to me and said "oh he's so cute, is he yours?" and I said "yes he is, thank you." Then she said "Oh you don't look old enough to be his mother." What the hell is that!? Why would someone say that? I said "Well I am." and left it at that. I am almost 30!!! I turned 29 years-old in June. I of course didn't tell her exactly how old I am because it's none of her business, but she goes on to tell me that I look like I am about 11 years old. Then later she involves other people, pointing at me and saying that I look like I am 11. And then people say things like "oh it's a compliment to look so young" or "You'll love it when you're older" reallly? Because when in your life have you ever taken an 11 year-old seriously? I don't walk up to people and say "Oh you look so old, you can't be with that child. You must be a grandmother!"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't think it's right for strangers to make comments about anyone's personal appearance unless they are certain it would be taken as a compliment. They shouldn't call a person fat, nor should they call them skinny. They shouldn't say that a person looks old, and neither should they say that a person looks very very young as in the OP's case. I see her point. Why would an adult want to look like a child? If they said she looked 20, or 21, that might not be as rude. No one wants to look like they are 11 years old though.

People take such liberties when speaking to those that they don't know. Think of all the things people said to you when you were pregnant. How many unwelcome comments did you get? I know I had my share.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• why are you upset that someone thought you were young? that makes no sense
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Look at it from the other perspective :) I'm 26 and the other day was out with my bf (23) and the guy at the counter thought she was my daughter!! I wanted to ask him just exactly what age he thought I was lol. It sucks to be thought of as way younger or way older than the appropriate age, but at least you will be getting disbelieving looks and carded for beer when you are 40; I'll have boy scouts trying to help me cross the road at that age!! :D
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:35 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Did you read the post?? Because no self respecting 30 year old woman WANTS to be told that she looks like she is 11 years old. Would you want someone to tell you that you look like a child? Keep in mind that people tend to TREAT you like a child if they think you LOOK like one despite how old you really are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Thanks for getting it Emuu, but it's not all it's cracked up to be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Why does that bother you? Ive been hearing that since my first child was born FIFTEEN years ago! I have 4 kids now and the conversation goes like this....are they all yours? Yes, they are. Wow, you dont look old enough to have kids that old. Oh thanks, I hear that all the time. My husband is young looking too and you should see my mom and grandmother....Oh really, thats great, you are blessed. You will love that as you get older. Yes, I know, thank you.

I think its a compliment and it opens up ways for me to meet people and make friends. Older people admire this. Its not an insult. You just look young. No one believes my 15 yr old is my daughter. They think she looks like my sister. Other peoples opinions of what I look like or how I parent doesnt phase me at all. The fact that someone else is interested in my life is flattering to me. Dont take it personally. If you do, you will stay offended all the time. Not worth it
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:37 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• im 23 and look about 16 adn noon etreats me like a child noone thinks my 2 kids are mine either but they correct themselves when i tell them
    you can be self respecting and 29 years old and not get cranky because someone said oh you dont look old enough to be his mother
    take it as a compliment or do the 29 - 30 year old thing and get over it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I can relate to this! OMG I hate it! EVERYONE thinks, "Oh, you'll love it when you're older.." Well, I'm older... and I still hate it. I've had someone ask when I was due, I answer, then they make some comment about how I look 14 or something. ........grrrr......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I think MOMOFSAEE makes a valid point!

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• ya i have a 9 yr old plus a 30 yr old who is married with child.i love going out to malls and stuff with them.nobody knows who belongs to who.we just laugh.believe me you will appreciate looking younger.i also have a 24 yr old who isnt mariied or anything but its real funny when we all go out.because really they could both have children the very oldest could have a 10 yr old.
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 7, 2009