How old was your child when they said there first word.

how old was your little one when they said there first word and what was it?

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 9:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Mama at about a month or two. But I don't know if that was actually talking or just mimicking. I'd say they talked actually words for communication at about 8 months.

Answer by Bmat at 10:04 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• 15 months, and he just went straight to full sentences. His first words were "I go home now. Bye-bye". Talk about being floored! LOL Unfortunately, he stopped talking about a year & a half later :-(
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:09 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• 6 months he said Kitty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• 6 months...she said night night
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I don't remember for my older daughter, because for her it was a progression from random babble that sometimes sounded like words to things like da-da and ba-ba, which I don't actually think count.

With my younger daughter, it was hilarious -- she was 3 months old, lying on the bed between me and hubby, and she rolled over, looked at him and said in a huge, breathy exhale: hi, da.

So, yeah... 3 months. I figured it was a happy accident and she had no idea what she was saying, or that it was so appropriate at the time, but we loved it, and tell people the story all the time.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:31 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My first said dada around 8 months.
    My son's first word was ball and that was at 6 months. He followed that week with mama, baby, baba and bike. He had like 10 words before he turned 7 months and was using complete sentences when he turned 1.
    My middle daughter said mama at 16 months and at 18 months would only say mama and dada. She didn't start talking until she was 2.
    My youngest daughter said mama around 8 months and was using complete sentences at 18 months and hasn't stopped talking yet, lol. She turned 3 in April and talks like a 4yo...people always think she is older then she is.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:13 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• For my youngest, it was Papa, and he was about 6 or 7 months. He could say anything he wanted to by 18 months.

My daughter could say mama and dada by 8 months or so, but she just jumped into sentences about 15 months. It was weird. And then her language just exploded about 20 months and she could say anything she wanted to.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• #1~7-8 mths, said dada.
    #2~nearly 2, just sort of started talking in sentences LOL.
    #3~he was around a year when he said dada, mama.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• For my oldest, it was at about nine months, he said 'stop'. Then he stopped and said nothing for many months until he said 'eyelashes', then 'sock', then after that it was just everything. Yes, he was a bit different. I have lots of crazy stories about that boy.
    Sorry, I don't remember what my twins said. sad, huh?
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 1:00 AM on Jul. 9, 2009