Fingernails are peeling? BADLY

My fingernails are peeling very badly, in thick THICKY layers. There looks like there are holes in my nails! What could this be???

I don't have insuranc e :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Health

• Mineral or vitamin deficiencies, fungus, some uncommon forms of cancer, trauma to the nail bed (if it's only one or two nails), chemical reaction (to cleaners, usually, but sometimes to polish or remover) or having had fake nails (any kind) removed.

Do you have a free clinic nearby you could drop into?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:27 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• LindaClement:

I have anemia, have for many years, and this is the first year I haven't had insurance, and able to get iron infusions. So I am guessing that would be a vitamin deficienciey.

Thanks :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• don't be so quick to blame it on anemia. there are different causes for anemia, and the cause of your anemia could also be the cause for your nail peeling. are your nails yellow? If so, it might be a fungus. another cause could be environmental toxins. do you drink well water or public water? do you eat enough protein? (i.e. meat, beans, nuts) Something is definitely wrong. You've got to go to a doctor somehow. Find a free clinic or go to the ER. The ER has to see you even if you can't pay. There might be something really wrong. You need to get some blood tests and you must be examined by a doctor
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 10:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Google "Community Health Centers" to find the master Web site of government-run health clinics that will see anyone, regardless of their ability to pay. You can drill down to find the location of a clinic near you.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2009