How much to pay a "mother's helper" ?

I work from home 3 days a week. A neighbor asked if we'd like her 13YO daughter to come by a few hours a week to watch the kids and play in the yard and stuff while I get some things done, I will always be here in the house, btw. The neighbor wants her daughter to get out of the house and have some responsibility this summer, she was adamant we don't pay her daughter, but I feel I should give her SOMETHING. If this works out and she comes maybe 3 hours a week what do you think is fair for a 13YO?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 10:42 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would still give her atleast 10.00 a week. I was babysitting at that age and even if you're there she is still helping you out and not paying her anything is taking advantage because she could be out babysitting someone elses kids and making money. I'm only saying this because my 14 year old and 12 year old help me out with watching my younger children and I usually slip them some money or other compensation.
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I would slip her a 10 or 20 every week in gratitude. And leave it at that. she's not over often enough to get paid anything serious.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't pay her anything b/c you don't know who's doing who a favor right now. Wait until the end of the summer and see how things have worked out. You may be doing the 13 YO a favor or even her mother a favor in which case, she should pay you. If by the end of the summer, you did
    get work done and she did help you out, then get the 13 YO a gift certificate someplace.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 10:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Hmm... that's an interesting idea mschanng.... I'll talk it over with DH. Thanks ladies =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• great point mschanng!
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Give her a gift card at the end of the summer.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• If you were 13 would you want your mom to force you to take care of someones kids for free? Um no. Give her something or you're a mooch and taking advantage of a child. Do you really want to be that person?
    Anonymous

• Anon, um NO, I don't want to be that person, that is why I asked how much I should pay her. Sheesh.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2009