Summer schedules . . .

Do you try to keep the same schedule for the summer as you do for when it's school time? Why or why not?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Oh, absolutely not! For the same reason I wouldn't try to keep a summer schedule in the winter: I live in a temperate climate, where the length of days and temperatures vary seasonally.

Everyone here has more energy in the summer, so we're up longer and more active during the day than the dark days of winter, when we tend to cocoon at home, bundle up, and plan more indoor activities.

We stay up late watching the meteor showers in August, but we don't hang around outside in December for that night show. We sleep in the heat of the day, when it gets hotter than normal, and then stay up later at night. We go camping and rise with the birds and go to sleep sooner after dark -- and eat way, way more out there! We don't camp in the winter (although we know people who do)...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:34 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• No... when there is no school bedtime goes from 9pm to 9:30pm (gs is 8) and dh works earlier so I get up ealier to fix his lunch and then go back to bed... gs and I sleep until 9:30-10am almost every morning and enjoy a long day of playing and of course my regular housework.... that I love oh so much...NOT!...LOL...

About 2 weeks before school starts we go back to our school time so that it isn't hard on gs or me to get up and going ... we have had no problems...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Nope. We all need to unwind in the summer. During the school year the kids are getting ready for bed at 7pm and asleep (usually) by 8pm. In the summer it's still sunny out at that time. Bedtime is 9-10pm in the summer (depending on their behavior). They mostly sleep in, at least the older 2 sleep in, the younger 2 are still up at 6am most days. We tend to eat later. Usually we have dinner at 5pm but in the summer we might not eat until 7pm depending on what we do. The kids spend most of the time outside. We rarely have anywhere to go and just relax and goof off all summer long.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My kid is not in any kind of summer school (I work from home), so we don't keep the same schedule. I like the flexibility and magic of summer--staying up late, watching the stars. That said, I do try to build in some kind of structure, so he can tell what day it is and so that those days have some kind of form. That might be planetarium Wednesdays, art Fridays, library Mondays. And we have a mandatory "rest" time in the afternoon so he can nap, read, draw, etc. And we've also set up a regular playdate with some of his friends from school.
    smabmouth

Answer by smabmouth at 6:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• No way do we keep the same schedule - that's the beauty of summer and no school.
    My kids do go to camp 2-3 times a week, but even then I let them stay up later since it's not like they have to go learn anything or pay attention. Plus they get home early without homework so it's OK if they need a nap. They stay outside later, we go visiting during the week = all because the structure and stress of school, bedtimes, and homework is over!

I love it!
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 11:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2009