am i going to get fatter?

ok so im 25 have been ttc for 5 years my first... i was dx hypothyroid in june of last year... after starting meds and quitting smoking ive gained 25lbs...i feel 5'8" and 160lbs...i know thats not real big but i used to be a size 7 jeans and now can barely fit in an 11..any way ...if i dont have kids(because thats a given) am i still gonna get fatter?

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 AM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Health

• Congratulations on quitting smoking - that's quite an accomplishment! As for your weight, there are so many variances that influence the scale. Being diagnosed with hypothyroidism does not in itself mean you will get fatter. Look at you are eating - is it wholesome, natural foods in it's original state or stuff out of boxes and cans, laden with sugars, artificial sweeteners, additives, etc? Sugar alone is a huge factor in all aspects of health and you need to do a bit of research just to figure out all the ways it can be listed on a food label - high fructose corn syrup, glucose, sucrose, etc. Try to avoid anything with any type of sugar as one of the first 5 ingredients.

Answer by Trinjo at 8:05 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I have hypothyroid. Only when I went gluten free did I stop gaining weight. I chose a new dr. because I was still having all of the symptoms of hypothyroid though the blood test by the dr. standard said I was fine. The new doc put me on a little more meds and hopefully my body can heal from being in a deficit for years and I can loose weight. I also try to watch the sugar. I barely ate anything because the hypothyroid took away my appetite and I still was gaining. I feel for you!

Answer by Roxanne0607 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Read through my group here on CafeMom Maybe I can help you... Suddenly Slim Moms.

Answer by SuperNonnie at 10:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2008