Should Sanford have stepped down?

The South Carolina Republican Party voted to censure Gov. Mark Sanford Monday rather than call for his resignation — an outcome that makes it likely the GOP governor will be able to weather the storm surrounding his extramarital affair and remain in office.

The vote of the state GOP executive committee took place late Monday night following a nearly four-hour-long conference call

and three rounds of ballots aimed at getting a majority of the committee to either censure, support or ask the governor to resign.

The censure finally agreed to by the committee called the governor's behavior a breach of "the public’s trust and confidence in his ability to effectively perform the duties of his office."

The vote was 10 for resignation, 9 support of him and 22 to censure him

Should he resign for mis-using tax payer money?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:34 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The guy is on his 3rd term now I believe. He was obviously thought highly of until he committed adultry and now he is a bad man and must go. Good grief. I don't condone what he did but get over it. He has another year and then he is gone. Term limits prevent him from running again. They can vote in some other dummy to try and do anything near what he has done for the State. Maybe a Dem so they can go in the crapper like Cali.
    I say forget about it. I am tired of hearing it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Should he resign for mis-using tax payer money?

Why should he be any different? If he has to resign for mis-using taxpayer money, then so should Obama and every other politician.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Anon :50 has Obama used tax payer funds outside of the scope of the law? Nope. Absolutely ANY politician that uses public funds to finance extramarital escapades, home remodeling, vacations etc should be subjected to a federal investigation and if found guilty then they should be removed from office.

Look I'm sure Safford isn't a bad guy, but he lied and got caught and if this was just about adultery I'd say "who cares", but if he flew out to Argentina on the public's dime to see his woman and disguised it as "work" he needs to resign and the SC GOP should be ethical enough to urge him to do so.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 12:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• If he had used state funds, he should go. However, according to this
    http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/20090703/sanford-cleared-on-use-state-funds.htm
    he has not used state funds.

Since he has broken no laws, he should stay. But I think that his moral lapse speaks poorly of his character. JMO.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 12:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

Sure, if he ever does mis-use some. He hasn't actually done that, but people only believe what they read on blogs and prefer to ignore the truth when it suits them.

If he should resign for something as simple as adultery, then shouldn't Clinton have done that as well?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I think he should resign as an abject hypocrite.

People move into glass houses should make sure they haven't thrown stones their whole lives.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I think he should resign for abandoning his state without ensuring the appropriate people he would be 'unavailable'

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• SRiveroC

Anon :50 has Obama used tax payer funds outside of the scope of the law? Nope.

So $250,000+ WEEKLY "date nights" with LaVaughn is APPROPRIATE given our country's current economic crisis? Nope

Why can't they have a their personal chef whip something up have a candlelit dinner in the White House Rose Garden? And what's with $100 an ounce steaks. Is THIS how the man ate while he was a Community Activist, or is it an "acquired" taste commensurate with becoming junior senator and in his current role of President?
    Anonymous

• While it's unfortunate that he got caught with his pants down, humiliated his wife and sons and has no moral backbone, I don't think he should (or should be forced) resign because I don't see how his affair and his ability to be an effective politician are connected. I think morally he should...but he hasn't broken the law.

Anon 50- how do you know they don't pay for those dates? He's a millionaire you know..

JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 2:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Anon 50- how do you know they don't pay for those dates? He's a millionaire you know..

Just FOUR dates would cost at least a million dollars....he sold a few books, and earns $400k per year...he ain't Rockefeller!!!
    Anonymous