How can I kill mosquito larvae in my baby pool without chemicals?

My baby pool got mosquito larvae in it overnight and I know dumping the water won't kill them, so how DO I kill them without bleach, chlorine (which I've read doesn't work anyway) or other chemicals? The pool is very small, only three buckets fill it up and I wouldn't trust those chemicals (that I don't allow in my house anyway) would wash out.

Help?

Xakana

Asked by Xakana at 2:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Dumping out the water and letting it dry up WILL kill them. They have to be in water in order to survive. Make sure to dump it somewhere where the water isn't going to pool up again and do it in the hottest part of the day.

I agree with above. Don't have any standing water for long periods of time to avoid that situation.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 2:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2008

• Well Bleach WILL kill the larve (1 TBS to each gallon of H2O) and if you dump the water out the larve will dry up and die in the sun. Bleach does rinse out. You can try not keeping water in it overnight. Only put water in it when you are going to use it. That way the water is fresh and nothing is laying eggs in it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2008

• you could buy some goldfish and put them in the pool. Also mosquiotfish do a good job too. The best way to get rid of them is to prevent standing water in the future.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2008

• They sell these things called "dunks" that dissolve in water and are safe, but kill the larvea
    Fifilaflea

Answer by Fifilaflea at 1:06 AM on Aug. 30, 2008

• *snort* Anyone who wants to avoid standing water doesn't live in Missouri ;) No way to avoid it around here, just don't want to give the little buggers a nice place to stay! Thanks! I dumped it in the driveway (it's a 45 degree angle) on a hot sunny day and they died.
    Xakana

Answer by Xakana at 2:49 AM on Aug. 30, 2008