My 5 month old has never slept throught the night!

I've had many mothers tell me there babies have been sleeping through the night since birth, the longest my child has ever slept was 5 hours. My little one insist on being nursed to sleep everynight at 9:30 she is awake again to nurse at 11pm then she is in her sleeper right next to my bed until 2 or 2:30am when she wants to nurse for 1min again. After 2 am she wakes up another 5 or 6 times to nurse for 1min then she is right back out. I have tried to rock her, give her a paci, let my husband rock her, I've even tried nothing to see if she will wine for a couple minutes and go back to sleep that has only worked one time and she was up shortly after that. We have a rutine that is bath, book, feeding, sleep. I could really use a whole night of sleep without having to put my 5 month old in bed with me 10x a night, any suggestions please???

bottmommy

Asked by bottmommy at 11:47 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try letting her cry. I always had to set a timer. 20 minutes was all I could handle. And it would usually be long enough. It's worth it when it happens.
    EmKirk

Answer by EmKirk at 11:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• change your routine a bit.you have a good one just backwards.You should feed the baby till he/she is full then give them a nice warm bath with Johnsons bedtime bath and lotion.He will sleep almost all nite for ya.Remember though babies that nurse wake up more often to be fed.you can also try putting some baby cereal in a bowl and feeding it to him to before the bath.The reason this works so well is because the baby gets a full belly and then a nice relaxing bath to calm them for the nite.Give it a try and let me know how it works for ya.
    krazymomma427

Answer by krazymomma427 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• and... ? my 10 month old has never slept "through" the night. neither has my 28 month old. it's no big deal. don't let your baby cry it out, that just tells them that you don't care anymore. Babies need you, and they don't cry for no reason. if your baby wakes up at night maybe he'she is hungry or wet. there is NO REASON why a baby that young should sleep more them 5 or 6 hours staight.
    there is NO PROOF that feeding a baby cereal before bed helps, but there is TONS of PROOF that feeding a baby that young leads to stomach problems later on. Just answer your baby's calls and forget about what other mom's say
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 12:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My lo still doesnt sleep through the night at 10 1/2 months he doesnt wake me up all the time though usually he just grabs his sippy cup of water and falls back asleep. I think that your lo is using nursing as a pacifier, she is probbly just missing you and want the comfort of the breast. Believe me i know what your going through at 5 months my ds was up every hour to half hour wanting to breastfeed for 2 secs then go back to sleep it wasnt untill he started with his sippy cup that I have finally slept through the night lol
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 12:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• It's normal. Those other moms just got lucky in the baby sleep lottery. Here are the general guidelines:
    Most babies can sleep for 5 hours of more (the official meaning of sleep through the night) by 6 months. Yours can. She may not want to. But she can.
    Most babies can sleep for 8 hours or more by 9 months. Again... CAN.
    Most babies can sleep from bedtime to morning by 12 months.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Have you tried feeding your baby in your bed? My daughter who is 4 1/2 months now has been sleeping with my husband and I since she was born. She didn't want to sleep anywhere else. I know everyone has different opinions about this ie SIDS, but for us it worked, and this way I didn't have to get up and get her to feed, i would just turn around and feed her since she was sleeping next to me.Sometimes its hard because she suddenly gets up and wants the breast either to pacify herself or to feed when she doesn't need to feed. But I agree with NoahsMomma418; I would never let my daughter cry it out. Your baby is definately crying for a reason. Sometimes its hard to keep reaching for them as we may be busy at the moment but I would never let my daughter cry for more than 5 minutes. And now that she's been in our bed, I keep telling my husband that she can sleep in it till she is one if she wants, as I would miss her next to me.
    busy_bee21

Answer by busy_bee21 at 12:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I've spent nearly 2 decades listening to parents talk openly about their struggles and insecurities, and I have a secret to share about babies sleeping through the night:

Their parents are lying.

For the best reasons, and to themselves first. The idea that 'good' babies sleep through the night appeared, and since that moment virtually every parent has the 'right' kind of baby. This leads to a variety of fictions from benign to neglectful...

Some parents sleep through babies waking, some ignore it --or try to.

But usually, baby slept for 11 hours one night (coming down with something, growing a huge amount suddenly, etc) and mom felt competent. Yay! Then she started telling people 'babe sleeps all night'. And babe did. Once, maybe twice. Once a month. Rarely. All kinds of lapses are ignored: teething, a late nap, upset tummies, too much stress, a lazy day, new food, growing, low appetite. But waking, nightly.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My DD is 4 mos. and has only slept 5 hrs. in a row recently and even then, has only done it twice! She is normally up every 3-3.5 hrs. to bf or just fuss. I read an article that said 85% of parents think their child has a sleep disorder! We expect them to sleep like adults, but we all forget we've had years and years of practice! They're just little babies and wake up for all sorts of reasons. I do agree that a baby who sleeps is considered 'good' while one who does not is considered 'bad.' My girl is extremely hyper and determined and I often find myself saying in a teasing way that she's 'bad.' These attributes suck now, but once she grows up I know they will be great characteristics to have. I am the same way. And I admit I am jealous of all these people who tell me how great their babies sleep. I think it's a bragging right for a lof ppl. Anyway, try patting ur baby to sleep. It works for us sometimes.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I'm sorry, but my kids slept through the night very young, and I am NOT lying. They went down at 9:30 and didn't wake until after 5 from around 2 months. Yes, I know I was lucky, but I am not a LIAR!

Some babies just aren't ready to sleep through at 5 months. Your routine is fine (baths woke mine up, so a bath right before bed was a horrible idea) Cereal will not help her sleep...well, maybe for a little bit, but she will wake up even more hungry than usual as soon as the cereal is digested because it's giving her FEWER CALORIES to use for growing.

There is no freakin' such thing as a "bad" baby. Only in the closed little minds of some parents.
    Anonymous

• My 7 month old sleeps through the night. No, not EVERY night, but hey even I have nights where I wake up, and I roll over and go back to sleep, just like my son does. And he does sleep through 25 out of 30 nights/month and has since he was 3 months old. I have 3 other kids and they all slept through about the same time, so I know there is teething coming where he will be up a coupla nights here and there.
    I can tell you the thing that helped us out the most was a routine. Not just a bedtime routine, but an all day, flexible schedule. It helped define his day more. There's a reason that schools (including preschools) use schedule - because children thrive on them. And I don't think there's anything wrong with a little (10-15 mins) of crying. My son cries every now and then when I first put him down, but not usually.
    I'm not saying that all kids sleep every night, I can only share my experience. Best of luck to you.

Answer by missanc at 2:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2009