Do you think the cost of living is expensive where you live?

And what state are you in? The cost for homes is EXPENSIVE in Va, but everything else is reasonable.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• Bay Area, California. Incredibly expensive. Almost not worth it to stay.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 11:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Seattle Washington is also very expensive.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Clarksville TN /Ft.Campbell Ky, heck NO. We have a low cost of living around here. On the flip side if your not military or work for the City/County you cannot hardly get a good paying job around here.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• So Cal, is very expensive, unbelievable , makes you want to get the heck out.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 2:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Fayetteville NC. military town...so alot of things are expensive...as far as housing...but ive visited places that make me appreciate our costs....rent here is just high....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Long Island, NY...expensive. Even though house prices are dropping, I cannot afford a home here. My parents are in cornelius, NC houses are a good price and you get a really nice home. my mom says food is still the same cost.
    rent on LI is a lot. and its breaking our piggy bank.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• We have had a oil/ gas boom here in wyoming over the past 5 years. The prices of rentals and apartments skyrocketed because of it, housing prices also skyrocketed. Inbetween 2000 and 2003 prices on rent were a max of maybe 800 for a really nice house or large apt. The prices have drastically increased to between 1300 and 2500 for rent, if you are able to get cheaper it is usually in a crappy area.
    rennisance

Answer by rennisance at 3:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• We have a pretty low cost of living here (New Smyrna Beach, FL) but there are no jobs here either.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• It always amazes me when I watch shows on HGTV from Designed To Sell, House Hunters, My House is Worth What?, etc & I see the costs of simple homes in other states. Most of these cape cod style homes that I see selling for $200,000-$500,000 would be like $50,000-90,000 here in The Buffalo, NY & surrounding area.

I owned a single family 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bathroom home with 1300 sq. ft. & I paid $63,000 for it. We currently own a double...2 bedrooms upstairs, 2 bedrooms downstairs & it was a fixer upper, we paid $58,000 for it....it's now worth $115,000 since it's fixed up, modernized & in a sought after neighborhood of North Buffalo.

We plan on renting out our lower apartment next year & buying a large 5 bedroom 2 bath home. The kind of historic/older house I want with 1+ acres is about $170,000! There is currently one that was a stop in the underground railroad that I want, but we want a larger downpayment first!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2009