Starting to think about trying to start a routine/schedule for my 6 week old and wondering if CIO is the only way to do it.

If I'm going to attempt to get my LO on a schedule am I going to have to get thru letting her CIO? If so how long do you let her cry? Ugh...I'm not going to be very good at this - I cry when she cries!!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 12:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• do not do CIO with your 6 week old...that is entirely too young. You need to wait until at least 6 months before trying anything of that nature...right now baby cries because she needs something, not just because she doesn't want to go to bed at a decent hour.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Wait until the baby is at least 4 months old before you use the CIO
    Anonymous

• Six weeks is till a newborn. I think that's too oung to cio. her brain and body are still adjusting to being outside your womb much less able to decide herself when she's allowed to cry or not.

Give it a whirl about seven months or a while later.

When my son was a toddler, he's now midtwenties year old, we let him cry for a good while and finally we heard "yoo hoo any body out there?' through his tears. Of course we reassured him throughout he wasn't alone but it was hard. Right now though your baby needs your comfort, discipline of all sorts comes way later.
    Anonymous

• No CIO before SIX months. All it teaches them is that mommy doesn't care anymore. Take a closer look and watch for HER schedule. She'll let you know what she needs.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• 6 weeks is too early for a schedule and FAR too early for any CIO methods
    At 6 weeks they eat on demand and they sleep when they want
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• thank you!!!! i knew i should ignore my mother-in-laws advice!! :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 12:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• CIO is NOT recommended until the babes are at least 6 months old and IMHO NEVER. 6 weeks is way to early to be on a "schedule" other then their schedule. CIO teaches the child that no one cares when they are upset/hurt/hungry etc and increases stress hormones in the baby. Not a good thing especially at 6 weeks old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• 6 wks. is pretty young to put a baby on a schedule. I'm not against CIO at such an early age, so long as it's controlled and you don't just leave your baby in a room for an hour. My DD is extremely stubborn and we got her into her crib at 8 wks. There was A LOT of crying, but we went in and comforted her every few mins. If we had tried before 8 wks, she would have never been able to do it. She would have let herself cry for hours on end. I would start a bedtime routine, as that does help, but putting baby on a 'schedule' is just not realistic at this age. You're going to seriously stress yourself out if you try. I thought I could do Baby wise and all that crap and when I couldn't, I was so stressed and angry. Once I let go and went with my baby's natural flow, I was so much happier. The bedtime routine helped and she slowly melded into a schedule on her own.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2009