Newborns and Baby Bumpers

I just installed a new baby bumper on my crib at home, in preparation for the baby to come. While we are planning on using a bassinet for the first few weeks, I wanted to have the crib all set up. But now I have my MIL telling me that the bumpers are harmful and can cause problems before 6 months. Is this true? I can't find any conclusive articles online so I thought I'd ask other moms and see :)

Emuu

Asked by Emuu at 1:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Just tie it very snug and make sure it doesnt have a chance of becoming loose and covering the baby's face, and make sure its not tooooooo fluffy. The risk is a suffocation hazard, and before they are six months, you dont need it, since they wont be rolling around much. But its generally safe if correctly fastened. Its also a pain in the butt to take on and off when youre changing the sheets. I would leave it off, but mainly because of the laundry issue.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 1:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• it will keep the baby from smacking its head on the rails but alot of moms on here will say it's a "suffocation hazard" it's not, it should be fine
    Anonymous

• We bought a mesh bumper for the crib. We didn't have a bumper until he was about 5-6 months when he started getting his feet and arms stuck in the rails. We used the mesh one because we felt it was safer. I have heard of bumpers and suffocation so I didn't want to take the chance!
    Anonymous

• I was told that its okay to have a bumper until they start movieng around alot which is about 6 to 7 months and when they roll over they could suffocate from them so i am going to use mine until there that age i wouldnt want any danger at all near my child good luck.
    newmom183

Answer by newmom183 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Thank you for all your answers! I will definitely be checking to make sure that mine is safe. Its for a boy so its not terribly fluffy (has animals on it but no lace or trim) , and is tied VERY tight. Thanks again!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 2:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2009