Is there a line or a limit on what we should pray for?

Is praying for money ok? is praying to lose weight ok? Is there anything that God would prefer we not pray for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's ok to talk to God about anything - doesn't mean he will provide it when you want it, or provide it at all. It should be in line with his will. I mean, he won't strike your boss with lightening for giving you a hard time, ya' know? ;) Also, he hears prayers that are sincere.
    Anonymous

• God says "pray continually" - so I believe that means we should pray about everything in our lives - if we're having a problem with weight, we ask for God's help or guidance with our will power, if we're having monetary problems, we pray for a blessing or we pray for the ability to keep our finances in order.

Is there a limit to what we can pray for? I don't think so. God wants us to come to him for everything. Even if it's menial, he wants to hear our voice. Even if we just say "I love you Lord."
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• He doesn't grant wishes, he helps guide you to do the right things. My younger brother just got the lapband done and it's not really working so he asked God to help give him the strength to exercise and diet without falling for temptation and eating bad foods. He's lost 137lbs and exercises every day! I pray to God for my kids health and to help guide me on the right path to guide my children on the right path but I never ask him like "oh dear God please bring me money" that is just wrong. God does good for those who do good, and he does nothing for those who do bad.
    Anonymous

• I think one should talk to God about anything thing that concerns them, just as you would a close friend or family member.

Although, I do not view God as a cosmic vending machine in the sky :-) Many people will say that God did not answer their prayers if God did not deliver what they wanted. Prayers are always answered. Sometimes he said "yes," "no," or "wait." For instance, as for weight loss, perhaps instead of making the pounds magically fall off, he might provide you with the opportunities for more exercise and healthier food choices during the way instead. We can ask God for anything but we must understand that it doesn't mean we're guaranteed to get exactly what we want.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• ive always thought about asking for things like this. dont ask for a million dollars, ask for financial stability. dont ask for a red sports car, ask for reliable transportation. dont as to be skinny or thinner, ask for health & oppurtunities to change.

you can take anything to God but that doesnt mean he's gonna give you what you want.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• There are no limits as to what you can pray for - however, that doesn't mean that you will get the things you pray for. God decides what is best for us because he sees further ahead in our lives than we can possibly imagine. God never gives us anything that will harm us. If money will be our downfall, then He will not bless us with money. However, if our hearts are pure and we can handle the responsibilities that come with wealth, then we will be so blessed to bless others.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• pray for anything.....always giving thanks for what you have first......
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 6:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Prayer is communicating with God. He knows what's on your heart and mind, so if you have something that you're thinking about or desire, you can talk to Him about it. I use the acronym ACTS when I pray. A is for adoration. Tell Him how much you love Him and why. C is for confession. Confess your sins and ask Him for His forgiveness. T is for thanksgiving. Thank Him for anything and everything. And S is for supplication (praying for others and for yourself). If you're having money problems, ask Him for His help. If you're trying to lose weight and are having difficulty with it, ask Him for His help. Pray...listen...and then act.
    ProudTexan71

Answer by ProudTexan71 at 8:52 AM on Jul. 10, 2009