I have been at wits end lately with my 3 yr old. She has a difficult time listening. She also is starting to talk back! Any tips on discipline would be great!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wish I knew, I'm going threw the same thing
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• knowing I am not alone helps a lot! For instance, today at Gianna's dance class, all the other girls were following directions. Gianna would listen for a bit, and then seem to fall off the wagon. I could feel the knot starting in my stomach. I feel helpless, and the last thing I want is for other moms and the teacher thinking my kid is a brat. It's not just in class but at the store, families houses, or even when we are out and about. I'm going to start reading books and see if I can resolve this peacefully!
    My2Gems2620

Answer by My2Gems2620 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• We have the same problems here. She will be 3 in Sept. and is getting worse as her independence grows. She will go to preschool 2 full days in the fall, and I'm hoping that helps.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 5:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My daughter is almost 4, and we went through a brief rough patch -- and still do occasionally. What I've found is that when we get angry or truly frustrated, it doesn't help the situation. In fact, it makes it worse. Now, changing your TONE to something much more firm is different than getting angry. What has worked over and over again is to stay completely calm, and very matter-of-factly let them know that talking back (or not listening) isn't acceptible. And if they continue to do so, they're going to get a "time out" from (fill in the blank favorite toy). When it continues, I say, "Oh, okay. So you're going to continue to talk back. Well, then say goodbye to... (fll in the blank). And then I take it away for a certain period of time. We've also done the naughty wall, and time-outs in her room. Whatever the punishment, the key is to stay firm with it, stay consistent, and stay very emotionally indifferent.
    TracyGrzy

Answer by TracyGrzy at 6:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2009