Baby yeast rash?

My 9 month old seems to have all the symptoms of a yeast rash on her bum. We've tried using normal diaper rash creams (as well as vaseline and lanolin) and nothing was working so I figured something else was wrong than just a common rash.

Has anyone had a baby with this before? What did you do and how long did it take to clear up? Any over the counter cream I can use? THANKS!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter used to get this, and we used Nystatin on her, I wasnt about to use OTC yeast stuff on her without my doctors consent
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My doc had us use the Naystatin until it stopped working (lots of antibotics/ear infections so lots of rashes!). If it's well defined red raised bumps, it's probalby a yeast reash. It'll spread and end up looking like burned skin! Doc had us use an OTC athlete's foot cream. Make sure you get one with Clotrimazole. It's the same thing my doc had me use for yeast rash after breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

• My son had this when I was breastfeeding...The regular Desitin made it worse, but the Desitin Clear worked wonderfully as an over the counter med.
    Honestly, the best thing you can do for healing is LOTS of naked time. Expose his booty to air as much and for as long as possible.
    Also, make sure you treat yourself for the yeast infection called thrush. If you're breastfeeding, and you have it, your baby will continue to get it because the yeast from thrush is from your milk. Check his gums to see if there are white spots on them. If your nipples are red and hurt, or you get pangs of pain in your breast during or after a feeding, you more than likely have thrush. Call your doctor on how to treat it...he'll more than likely prescribe Naystatin. Cut back on sugars because yeast thrives in sugar. Get probiotics, the good stuff in yogurt, or sugar free yogurt, and eat it at least twice a day. Good luck!
    danawitkowski

Answer by danawitkowski at 2:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2009