Im so confused about the whole labor thing!

tell me what happens (first time mom) like what the hell happens first? does your water break or do you get contractions? what is a mucus plug? when do you go in to the hospital? do I wait after my water breaks or when the contractions start? just can someone explain the process to me please!

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's different with every woman. Your best bet is to ASK your doc. What I was told with my first child was that I was to go to the hospital if one of two things happend. First if my water was to break, then I was to go to the hospital OR if I had contractions that were 3-5 minutes apart for 2 hours. My water never broke with either child, it was broke for me
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I wish I could help. My daughter was taken by c-section at 32 weeks. So I know nothing about labor at all> Good luck
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 1:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• with most moms, contractions start first. a very small percentage of women have their water break as the first sign of labor. with me, it happened both times, but i've read it's a less than 10% chance. contractions usually start smaller and progress as time goes on. the stronger they are and the closer together they are, the closer you are to pushing. i've also heard that they tend to intensify after your water breaks. i wouldn't know first hand though, since i never had contractions before my water broke.

cont...
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 1:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I waited until my waterbroke, but I was only having contractions 8 mins apart, so I wasnt going to pop out the baby before I made it to L&D.
    Generelly if your having contractions that are 4 mins apart, weather or not your water has broken its time to get to the hospital. sometimes your waterbag wont break on its own. If you go in to early they usually send you home.
    SOO if your waterbreaks first, GO, if your contractions are 4 mins apart GO! other than that, I find that the begining of labor is MUCH smother and calmer when you are at home until a certin point, that being waterbreaking or contractions close together.
    as for your plug, some women NEVER loose theres, it comes out right before the baby, so just keep your eyes open, if you loose it, its nothing to be worried about, its just a sign that labor COULD begin in the next 24-48 hours, I lost mine twice- the first time I didnt go into labor so it just grew back.
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 1:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• as for the mucus plug. it's just what it sounds like; a plug that's been covering your cervix and, as labor nears, it breaks up and falls away. sometimes in one big piece and sometimes it comes out bit by bit. sometimes, with a "bloody show" meaning a blood-tinted discharge. the expulsion of this mucus plug means labor is getting closer, but it doesn't necessarilly mean it's imminent. you can lose your plug weeks, days, or hours before labor begins. and sometimes you won't notice when it happens.
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 1:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Labor is different for everyone...My water broke first, then I lost my mucus plug, then the contractions...I didn't give birth until 29 hrs and 40 mins. after my water broke. I was having back labor all day before my water broke, but thought I was a back ache because I was so large and bartending.
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 1:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• and more from me...

the rule of thumb for when it's time to go to the hospital is either 1) your water breaks or 2) you're having contractions 6-8 mins apart, regularly. totalling 10 or so an hour. to time a contraction, look at the clock when each one starts. from the start of one to the start of the next one is how many minutes apart they are.
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 1:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• i recommend to you that you read "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" by Ina May Gaskin and also read "Spiritual Midwifery" also by Ina May Gaskin. it gives birth stories but also tell you about what can happen in labor.
    Anonymous