For those who think that creationsim should be taught alongside evolution in schools.

What about all the other religions? If we teach evolution in our public schools, and we teach the biblical idea of intelligent design shouldnt we then also teach theories of other creation?
Should we teach the Buddhist theory that the world was not "created", that everything is always becoming.
What about Hindu theories. Brahma's wonderful creation story?

How do you justify teaching one religious creation theory over another? This is not meant to offend. I would just like some thoughts on this.

I, personally, think that all of these things should be offered in school. They would be seperate classes however, one for science creation theories and the other for ALL religious creation theories.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Actually, yes, I do. I believe that all possible theories should be introduced and studied and the children be allowed to base their own beliefs on those theories. I think that we adults don't give kids enough credit for their intelligence. And by not allowing them the option to chose for themselves, we are doing them a huge disservice.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I think if a school is going to teach one theory they should cover all. Honestly we all believe what we believe but no one really knows how we came about. I took a class in high school that was Religious Studies. It covered all things from all religions from birth to death, afterlife, creation and basics of each and everyone. It was a 12 grade elective and it was probably the best class I ever took. It was taught by a teacher that did not stress one over the other. And in fact it was one of the most popular classes in our school.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I think that anything that people weren't there to witness should be taught exactly as it is: it's a good guess based on X or X. People don't want us to teach children religious origins of the earth but the fact of the matter is, non-religious views are just guessing as well. No one was there to record it. We're guesing based on the tools that we have available to us. The views of the earth and its origins have changed over time and are only going to continue to change with technology.

I think that other viewpoints on how the earth came to be, from a religious/cultural perspective, should be included. Also, not as "fact" but as "this is what some of those around you believe" to "broaden the horizons" (as my dad says) of students. I don't think that any one religion should be represented in school. I do think that kids should get to learn a little about what everyone thinks, if not just for an appreciation of others.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Science classes should teach science, evolution is the only scientifically upheld theory. Myths should by taught in mythology classes.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I also think it would be good to teach all theories in school...but I think it should be one class with different "chapters" ... it wouldn't do any good if kids could pick and choose which theories they want to learn about, they should learn ALL of them. The issue is that those that are very religious would never allow it, their way or the highway and all that. I would LOVE a class like this for my children, when given all the unbiased informaiton they could make their OWN personal decisions about it all. It would make them realy THINK, and that is a GREAT thing. Heck, * I * would love a class like that! Obviously science proves evolution, but I'd love to open my mind to other views. We can't make intellegent decisions in life without knowledge, right?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I think here is a problem, there is a fine line between comparison and teaching religion. Evolution is a solely science based theory. With actual fact to back it up. Science is science, and I personally would not be to happy if my childs SCIENCE teacher started teaching relision as well.
    But I am all for a comparitive religious studies class, that they have an option to take. then they can make EDUCATED choices for themselves.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I think that some of you are missing the point -
    Creationism has as much basis in science as Evolutionism, and it CAN be taught on a solely scientific viewpoint (it's called Intelligent Design in this case rather than Creationism).

http://www.discovery.org/a/2640

Now, if you're going about it from a religious viewpoint, then yes, I do believe it, as well as other religious beliefs, should be taught in a religion class.

jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• i think it would be great for a change to have an entire generation of americans learning all about science, all about world religions, and able to understand the difference between the two.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 1:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• They should make a class like that and have it be selective class.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• jennijune
    I think that Intelligent Design does NOT soley back up the biblical creationsim theory but also those of other religions.

in any case, i do believe it should be changed.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2009