A CHILD WITH ADHD AND ASPERGERS.. WHAT WOULD YOU EXPECT FROM THEM IN PUBLIC SETTINGS?

HOW WOULD YOU FACILITATE THE BEST OUTCOME?

MAKEMYDAY101

Asked by MAKEMYDAY101 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• It depends on the kid. Each one is so different...even my two.

My oldest is PDD-NOS and ADHD. I expect him to behave as I would any other child, but I discipline him in the way that works for HIM best.

My second is suspect PDD-NOS and I also expect him to behave as any other child, but I discipline him in the way that works for HIM best.

My third is neurotypical and I expect him to behave as any other child. I discipline him in the way that works for HIM best.

Meltdowns are handled as they occur, in the way that calms each kid the best (although the youngest has tantrums, not meltdowns)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Depends on the kid....some deal with their problems by hiding it, some deal with it by lashing out. I have Asperger's, and I was always really good. I don't know what the ADHD would add though, I don't have that.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I still expect my son, despite him having autism, to behave properly in public. He knows how to do that. If he has some trouble I help him since he still learning this skill and I have mastered it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2009