Good, bad, or Indifferent? Nuns of the 21st. Century...

The article isn't long, but it is stating clearly that even Nuns of today are speaking out louder than before.
What are your thoughts (just curious)...
My dh was raised in a Catholic school, nuns as the teachers, the ruler slaps etc... infact he even ran into on of his old nun teachers a few yrs ago (he is 50 now) and damn near fell over when she remembered him and the boys he hung-out with...LOL...
But that was then and this is now, should the nuns be aloud to change with the times too?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-nuns-on-the-run-from-vatican-inquiry-1731272.html

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 1:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I think "good for those nuns!" IMO, women have been suppressed in the Catholic church for far too long. It's about time that they get a little more modern! And shame on the Vatican for trying to keep them in the dark ages! This is 2009, not 1609!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• "Surpressed by the Catholic Church?!" I find that pharase amusing. People are free to believe what the want - no one is forcing women to become nuns. If someone doesn't believe in the teachings of the Catholic Church then why become a Catholic nun? The inquiry isn't about making nuns dress in a certain way or things like that - it's to make sure that the things being taught in the various religious orders are in line with the teachings of the Catholic Church. If one is going to be a Catholic nun - then it would make sense to then teach things in line with the Catholic Church. One of the vows a nun takes is "obedience" - I don't think it's wrong to ask them to follow through on the vow they choose to make.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• i dont see anything wrong with it
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I really view nuns as women who have studied the Bible well and know a lot about God's Word. I think it's important for their views to be listened to, especially by the Vatican. I don't think they ought to be forced into any dress, speech or ritual that they don't think is right. Maybe they've discovered something in their studies something important that the Vatican should be listening to that would improve the Spiritual well being of the church? I hope they're given a platform an an opportunity to share what they believe and why :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Erin, I can totally understand your point. I'm sure the vatican certainly does not want Catholicism misrepresented. If the nuns can prove that it is unnecessary for them to have to wear habits or that reiki isn't "bad" ect. ect. and still be in line with their belief system, I think it's good to give them that platform to be able to speak.

For example, I love the church I grew up in and agreed with their beliefs above any other I had heard; except for ONE. I do not believe that women cannot be pastors as according to the very same Bible that they follow. However, if I went to seminary, I am almost certain they would have excommunicated me. For me, rather than throw out an entire belief system that I absolutely agreed with, save for one thing, it makes more sense to try to get them to see how I feel they err. I don't see it a cause to switch faiths when I feel the faith I follow should be accepting X or X.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• IMHO, someone who loves their church or faith and finds a valid reason why a practice is wrong should discuss it with leadership to spiritually bennefit everyone.

I'm not saying any one of these practices in question is "right" or "wrong." I'm not Catholic so I really can't speak about it from a Catholic POV. I really can personally understand why someone would want to have their views heard out though, instead of being expected to leave their position.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• just another of the millions and millions of articles that try to put down the Catholic Church.
    Anonymous

• I don't think this article is putting down the Catholic Church, infact I think it's cool that these Nuns are looking outside the box... I read nothing in the article that they (the nuns) are demeaning thier faith or beliefs, they are just being more expressive of themselves and of their surroundings...
    But I am not Catholic and only know a little about the faith (MIL and SIL are devot and dh was and then converted to Lutheran) and I am not by no means critizing the Catholics, I simply thought that this article was a good read...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Well, I think there is certainly room for modernization of nuns and thier roles in society. When Catholicism was established, women's roles in society were very different. Nuns were cloistered in the abbey to protect their virginity. Any contact w/the outside brought the potential to hurt and corrupt innocent women/girls. As the cloistering practice grew, this became a way for widows and daughters of higher social status to be protected in the same way until they were married. They would also recieve an "education" on how to run a household devoted to God/Catholicism. Now that society has greater oppurtunities for women, and they no longer need "protection", the rules governing a nuns life should also change. The church should allow for certain things, like women living alone or wearing jeans, etc. However, the vows taken by a nun should remain unchanged (poverty,chastity, charity,etc) b/c they are core values of the church.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2009