Mommy's of kids with special needs.. HOW DO YOU FEEL WHEN YOUR KID IS HAVING AN EPISODE.. AND OR MELTING DOWN?

I must admit I feel very embarrassed. I feel like a bad mom..
Yet I know that is not true... I just have those feelings..

And I also feel like everyone else is judging me and trying to decide weather or not to call cps...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't feel anything. I just do what I have to do in order to calm them down. (so much fun when it's two at once *roll eyes*)

I don't give a flip what anyone else thinks. They can call CPS on me if they want, and when the accusations are found to not be true, then I will simply file charges against the person (if I find out who it is) for harassment.

For those who want to stare rudely I say, "Well, I know his excuse for his behavior, what's yours?"

For those who ask politely if he's okay I say, "He has ASD. He just needs a little time to calm down and he'll be fine."

All this is done calmly and patiently. If I am tense it makes the meltdown even worse, and last longer. Once it's over, I go on with my shopping or whatever....as if it never occurred.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I feel frustrated. I get very aggrivated when my child starts melting down and yet, i have seen them have good behavior before. I guess what bothers me is that i cant emotionally understand thier choices in behavior.
    And i also feel like everyone is judging me. but EF em.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I feel bad for my kid. I really do. I know how he feels when he meltdowns. However, my kid has also learned how to fake them and tries to use that to get his way. Thankfully I can spot the difference.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I feel like crap and feel bad for my son. He hasn't had a meltdown in over a year. He has asperger's too and I know that one tiny thing can set off a whole world of drama. Now when I see my son start to cry, tap his forehead over and over again and mumble loudly I kneel down and tell him to look at me, it's ok and we try to redirect on to something else. He will take his deep breaths and I ask him to point out different things on a shelf. We have to redirect.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My daughter has a panic disorder and when she melts down we all stop and breathe and wait while she pulls herself together. I usually feel helpless like there is something wrong with her and nothingi can do to help her but wait patiently. When people stare (cause dont you know she always melts down in public) istart telling my five year old son in a somewhat loud voice (not yelling just louder than normal) how its rude to stare at people and he should never stare or make fun of people in sissy's situation and he goes in his loudest voice "YEAH MOMMY ITS NOT NICE TO STARE!" and starts looking around to see who is still staring and theres always a few. they always look away sheepishly and do their best to aavoid me while im in the store. i think it helps her through the attack to cause she knows i wont abide someone saying mean to her or near her
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 2:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2009