WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER CHILD ABUSE???

I would like every mommy here to tell me.. WHAT YOU THINK THAT IS..

Have you called cps before? if so what were the reasons..

I was having a discussion with my mother the other day about my sister.. we all know she does not put her child's welfare first.. and is involved in many dangerous aspects to her life...
I bluntly told my mom if I saw or had proof of her neglecting or allowing others to harm my nephews I WOULD CALL CPS..
My mother said I was over reacting..
So I want you ladies to tell me.. WHAT IS A REASON.. YOU WOULD CALL CPS..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• OP- Any person capable of that violence shouldn't be anywhere near children. NO child should be bitten or kicked. If your sister is scared then she needs to go to the police and get a restraining order. He has a record of violence doesn't he? If she's too addicted to drugs to care than I think it is your responsibility to report the violence to CPS. Domestic violence only increases and you would never forgive yourself if something happened to those children. Can you take them in temporarily while your sister gets her life together (rehab, etc.)? The absolute least you can do is document everything. Any bruises or marks should be photographed and looked at immediately by a doctor. Hers included. The more violence that is on record the more the police can do. Oh and you can tell your mother there is no such thing as overeacting to a violent drug addict. Good Luck and I wish I had such a caring sister :)

Anonymous

• If there is even a question of a child's welfare you should call the authorities. They will sort out what is child abuse and what's not. But you don't want to be the person that could have helped and didn't because you got too caught up in what is considered abuse and what isn't.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 2:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Making them live in filth, neglecting their needs like not feeding them enough, physically hitting them and leaving a mark (not just a spank, that's not abuse IMO). Verbally degrading them, cussing them name calling, screaming at them to put fear in them etc.
    Anonymous

• I think u should wait til u have very very concrete evidence personally. I might also suggest that when you've decided to make the call, offer to babysit or in some way have your nephew in your poccession... then call the police who will send out CPS immediately to pick him up and then u can plead to them to check your fridge, bedrooms, etc and let him stay with you. Remember at least his Mom loves him. He's going to strangers in foster care. They could be saints. They could be meth heads looking for a paycheck. Could be baby rapers.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• neglect..... sleeping all day and letting the children fend for themselves. Dirty house unfit for kids.
    physical abuse...... I don't mean spanking for discipline. I mean leaving marks on their bodies and leaving them afraid to do anything.
    mental abuse.... making the child feel worthless with words and/or putting untrue things in their minds to make them think bad about others. This would be hard to prove to CPS though.
    Anonymous

• I called CPS on my ex-sister in law this year, twice. My niece had the worse lice infestation you have ever seen. Crawling on her clothes, you could see the hair move on her scalp. My mom's eyes aren't that great now and my older brother didn't know what to look for so I spent 3 weekends in a row combing out her hair, disinfecting bedding, clothes, etc.

After researching the subject I learned that diseases can come from lice (i.e. plague, etc) and my niece had scratched her head so badly that there were oozing open sores on her scalp. I was terrified for my niece and I want her healthy and safe. CPS went to the house and nothing was done. I was so upset. The next time I saw my niece her long, corn silk, golden blonde hair had been chopped off to her ears. Her mother is worthless and instead of cleaning her child she just cut the hair off. My niece was heartbroken. Do what you need to do.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• If a child is being physically abused, is not being fed or clothed, or is being sexually abused, then I would be compelled to call CPS. I would NEVER call CPS because the family has roaches, or the parents spank the kids, or because the child didn't have a coat on in the winter. Those types of things can be resolved EASILY by talking to the parents. I think people are too damn quick to call CPS over trivial things. It's ridiculous. I swear, there needs to be a law stating that people that make false reports of abuse, or who call CPS over trivial sh*t should be prosecuted. Of course that will never happen.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• my older sister leaves her daughter with ppl she has just met i call cps about this she leaves her 5 yo with strangers
    littleleesmom

Answer by littleleesmom at 3:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Ive not ever called CPS and I probably never would.

I would have to see a pretty obvious case of abuse(like bruises, bleeding,etc)before I did simply because odds are good Im not seeing the whole situation from just walking by them...kwim?

If I had a neighbor and I was in their home and saw dirt everywhere, unkept kitchen, the children were super dirty and hurt...then ya Id call for sure. Same if it was a relative.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I see it on here all too often, one mothers opinion on what should and shouldnt be done with a child is made into neglect or abuse. The bottom line is that if that child has a roof over her head, isnt being beaten, degraded verbally, starved or sexually abused then chances are it could be just a difference of opinion. I was tempted at one point to call CPS on a friend of mine, she was using a board to spank her children, her house was filthy, they were always wearing dirty clothes and their behavior was so outrageous it was a clear indication that something was not right in that house. I chose instead to have a conversation with her and she was very receptive. Turns out that CPS had been called on them a couple of times and they couldnt prove any kind of abuse.
    vivianasmom

Answer by vivianasmom at 3:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2009