My thoughts EXACTLY

Yes, Michael Jackson was a world reknowned pop star, and sure he should get some media coverage of his untimely death (as should Farrah Fawcett) but what about all the military members who also died the same day or week? Why do they not get the recognition they deserve? Are we really such a celebrity obsessed country that those celebrities mean more to us than those who fight and sacrifice their lives for our freedoms? I agree with the woman in this article completely. (Not saying anything bad about MJ by the way, I loved him as a musician)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,530361,00.html

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 2:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Sarah, true Michael Jackson didn't sign up to be in the military, no one is questioning that but why does ONE person's accomplishments out weigh another's? It's not even that these men should be Idolized by the media but I didn't even know there were soldiers or anyone injured in Afghanistan. The war that everyone keeps crying for us to send more troops to but no one is covering it or letting us know what is going on over there. But God Forbid we miss one day of not hearing about how they are investigating the death of MJ or how hard his family is taking it.

RavnJay

Answer by RavnJay at 2:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• AMEN!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• "Are we really such a celebrity obsessed country that those celebrities mean more to us than those who fight and sacrifice their lives for our freedoms?"

WE are not, but THE MEDIA DEFINITELY are !! And the media covers what interests THEM. Then their coverage creates public interest and boosts ratings. ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• People's priorities are whack.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I TOTALLY AGREE!

Answer by older at 2:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Yes we are a media obsessed country. Look at how many people just parrot what they here from celebrities regarding political issues.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Agreed. Overkill.

Then again, the military haven't been covered too much on the news anyway.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 2:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I agree. He was quite a musician , quite an attraction, but it IS overkill and way out of proportion . Our Military deserves so much more and they are pretty much taken for granted.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 2:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I agree, but the difference is people haven't grown up with the members of the military or heard them every day on a CD.
    I think media coverage of stars is getting ridiculous! Why do I care who was where with who buying what this weekend? But a lot of people do, and it sells, so that's what we're going to hear about.
    I wish the news was about thenice things people do for others and the lives of true heroes who died, but it will never be that way.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 2:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Because they signed up for it. Michael Jackson didn't.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 2:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2009