A question About welfare, no complaining and calling people worthlss please

I'm a stay at home mom who has been searching for a job since I was cleared to go back to work by my doctor. I was supposed to go back to work at the company I as at but they closed. I cannot find a job to save my life, and I'm going back to school next month. I have been searching endlessly or a job, so dont say "if your looking for a job dont be on cafemom" for like 3 months. There is nothing out there because of the present economy. Basically, my question is if I were to go on assistance until Im done the seven and a half month program Im going to chool for, would I be wrong?

lilmama31709

Asked by lilmama31709 at 2:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• if your question is, is it morally or socially wrong to get help you need while you struggle to make a better life for yourself and your children, my answer is "no."
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 2:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Girl get on it. That is exactly what it is for honey!!
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Its there to use! Nobody is in the wrong with it unless they are missusing those ablilties. Get on it! There is nothing wrong with that! GL!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 2:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• You really have to look into it, every situation is different. I wouldn't stop looking for a job while you go to school though. Google "public assistance (your state)" and you should be able to find a place where you can screen for all the benefits and they'll tell you what you may qualify for. Depending on your financial situation and whether you're single or how much your SO makes, etc etc
    So just go find out and if they think you'll qualify, go ahead and apply. There's nothing wrong with asking for help when you need it.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 2:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I don't think so. I am currently in the same position as you, except I'm receiving unemployment because I was (unlawfully) fired from my job a year ago. I have been looking for a job for a year!!!! There is seriously nothing out there. I went to school last fall to continue my teaching degree, but had to pause in the spring because I had my baby in Feb. I never stopped looking though. I am also receiving foodstamps (unemployment does not cover all the bills we have, my husband works too), but if they know you are going to school, my case worker told me, they can't give you any assistance. That is one of the only things I lied about. I'm not suggesting you lie, just that that's what I was told and what I did.
    nico409ant

Answer by nico409ant at 2:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• No worries,you are using it as intended... as "assistance" while you make your life better/get better skills. When people use it as a lifestyle is when I think it is wrong!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2009