Why would my mother in law tell me that it will be better that my husband wasn't in the delivery room?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• maybe she's old fashioned i opted to have my mother and sister support me but it's really between the two of you to decide each man is different he might want to be there for you...
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 2:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Maybe that's the way it was when her children were born?

Answer by Bmat at 2:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Maybe she thinks that he wont be able to handle it! It sometimes changes a mans view of his wife when he sees her in that state! I have heard of men not being able to have sex with their wives because they see them as a motherly figure afterwards.
    Anonymous

• Hmm...yea, maybe she is old fashioned. but I would let him be with you. It's important for the hubby to be there and see what's happening.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My husband was with me for all three births but he was useless helping me in any way. That's probably what she means and that you might really use someone who can advocate and help you physically during birth.
    Anonymous

• Any of the above answers could be true. But why didn't you ask why???
    Anonymous

• Probably cause that's how it used to be. You do what you think is best for you. My husband was my rock, he helped me SO much. My mom & MIL would have just stressed me out.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 2:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Probably just her upbringing and the way things were done when she was having babies. As long as you and your husband both want him to be there, that's more important than MIL's opinion about it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• You need to ask her. We can only guess.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2009