My 1.5y/o son is an extremely picky eater. He seems to refuse any food that isn't just the mushy #3 Gerber jar consistency. He gets very anxious and rowdy when it's eating time. We've tried both being stern and also empathetic when he's fighting us, but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

His twin sister eats like a dream...picking up her own grilled cheese or turkey sandwish bites and feeding herself. She doesn't always drink all her milk, but she's a dream compared to the battle we fight with him.

MommyMer21

Asked by MommyMer21 at 2:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Remember that every child is different. Do not compare his eating with hers.

Do not fight him either. Put his food in front of him and let him eat it. He'll use his fingers and make a mess but it's all about control now. You can not control what he puts in his mouth unless you are willing to hold him down, force his mouth open, and force him to swallow somehow - none of which is recommended and all of which will cause more eating problems in the future. Only he can decide what goes in his mouth and how much.
    If you know he has trouble with solids, keep him on mushy stuff for now. He'll see you and his sister eating other stuff and will master it eventually.

You decide what to offer him and when. He decides what to eat and how much. Throw in time and patience and you have a good recipe for a good, healthy eater by the time he's an adult.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Don't fight about food. Offer healthy food and let him pick what he wants to eat.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 5:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• my son didn't like tough textures either - he still has a hard time with certain ones at 20 months old - he still doesn't take bites of sandwiches and meal times take well up to an hour for a simple meal but.. I don't rush or push him, however I don't let him Play with his food either - what I am told is kids will not starve themselves- as hard as it is, offer him what you all are having, he just may need his food cut up for longer than his sister. my niece was eating and talking in full sentences by my son's age but they all grow differently and at different levels.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2009