Are you paying for your childs college?

We have a little saved for the boys but they will have to get student loans. What are your plans?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 2:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• i would like too but my son most likly need to pay for it like i do
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 2:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My inlaws have been putting money aside for each of my boys. It will not be enough to pay for everything, so we are counting on scholarships and grants. We have enrolled our oldest in a charter school with very rigorous standards. The school that they are based on graduates kids ready for ivy league colleges. Meaning that they should be easily accepted by an ivy league school without any other work. His school requires community service and involvement and extracurricular activities.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I will not be paying for my children's college educations. When I was in college, I saw that the people who were paying for their own educations really understood the value of that education a lot more than the ones who had it given to them. They put a lot more into it and got a lot more out of it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• for my two kids in college we and they took out financial aid loans through sallie mae. I advise late high school and college summers have kids work and put money into an account you share to see money grow as proof that they are saving most of the earnings for college. All years completely loans are ultra ultra expensive. If your ds or dd refuses to let you see paycheck grow then refuse to help. We should have done that. hindsight.
    Anonymous

• My father had multiple jobs to put himself through college. He said his children would not have to do this, so he saved enough for us for college, although I had part time jobs for pocket money, and I also had a scholarship that covered some of the tuition. We saved from the time the children were born and had enough for them to pay for college. Books and supplies came out of our budget. They graduated without debt.

Answer by Bmat at 3:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• We have some money put away(not so much since the stock market took a poo)...as do the grandparents and we will do whatever necessary to get our kids through college
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My parents will be paying for their college.
    Anonymous

• my son is 3 monthes old and i bought hima piggy bank and everytime it fills up im gonna put it in his savings account so he can have a great head start on college
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 4:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• He will be paying for his own college, just like I did. He can apply for grants and scholarships just like millions of other people. If he decides to go to school locally, I will help him out by letting him live at home rent free, I will buy groceries and help with clothes and supplies but otherwise, he is on his own.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Our daughter is in a 6 year high school; if she keeps working hard and keeps her grades up, she will graduate with at least one full year of college credits. She has an investment account that we started when she was born; depending on where she goes to college, there will be enough money to cover 1-2 years. The class of 2009 received at total of $14 million in scholarships, or an average of $28,000 per child. She may need to take out a loan for her final year.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2009