Is it okay or normal for my 2month old to always want to nurse?

All he wants to do is nurse. I feel like im laying on the couch feeding him all day. Is this normal? Is there a such thing as eating to much? What could be the reason for this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when my son was just born he nursed all night and day come to find out I didn't have enough milk for him, so I pumped what I can and gave him formula
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• baby's a baby going through growth spurts. as he grows he'll nurse less. try to keep it up for at least six months and much better a year. just put on some soft music when nursing and gently flick his face cheek if he bites down at the beginning of a bite once your recognize a bite starting. try your local la leche league group they're very helpful for ideas but extremely pro long long term nursing. I know first hand from the while I was in it.
    Anonymous

• Perfectly, perfectly normal. Let him nurse whenever he wants.
    LKRA

Answer by LKRA at 3:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• That is completely normal! My 5 (almost 6) month old still nurses every 2 hours around the clock and when he was younger, I felt like he was constantly latched on. It's normal and it will get better! Hang in there!
    audreybreier

Answer by audreybreier at 3:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• looovemybabies, how did you know you didn't have enough milk for him? I'm just asking, because alot of mothers misdiagnose due to lack of education regarding breastfeeding. What was his diaper counts?
    LKRA

Answer by LKRA at 3:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Totally normal. When you are pulling your hair out because of non-stop nursing, it will usually be a growth spurt and over in a couple of days. The only way its "too much" nursing (and this is hardly ever) is if the baby is spitting/throwing up all the time after he eats. then you might try just nursing from one breast for a longer period of time. But keep nursing! Its the baby's way of getting your body to produce more milk for him. I just sat on the couch for days in the early months. It gets better!
    AW-R

Answer by AW-R at 3:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Both normal AND OK. Exactly right.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My son is almost 3 months old, he did the exact same thing. I totally understand the frustration! Hang in there, it DOES get better!
    Ems86

Answer by Ems86 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I agree with the PP! Totally normal.
    MamaCeleste0722

Answer by MamaCeleste0722 at 8:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2009