Did you or are you buying your teen a car and insurance?

We have decided that our boys have to save for half of the car and have a job because they will have to pay for insurance and gas. Insurance here in So Cal for a 16 yr old is over 300 a month. WOW! What are your plans for teen driving?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 2:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Our sons had to get jobs and buy (and maintain) their own cars. We helped with insurance because it ran a thousand dollars each.

Answer by Bmat at 3:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• We bought my daughter her car and pay for her insurance(she is a Sr this year but we bought the car a year ago). She is a great kid who has awesome grades...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I paid half of what ever car my son bought and paid the isurance aslong as he was in school when he graduated college he had to pay his own then
    Anonymous

• When I was a teenager, my parents bought me a car when I turned 16, however, I had to keep my grades over a 92 in all subjects in order for them to continue making the payments and the insurance payments.
    Anonymous

• I think I should add that so long as she gets the good student discount insurance wise, we will pay it. If she loses that then she is up a creek. She also has a 45 minute commute to and from school everyday (she goes out of our district) and if she didn't have a car she couldn't get there...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My son isnt that old yet but I had to pay for my own car. I had to also pay half of my insurance. I was on my moms policy because it didnt cost as much that way. But i had to go to school and keep my grades up or she would take my keys away and i never understood that because i paid for the car but it worked =).
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Our daughter is almost 14. She and her dad are restoring a 1968 Barracuda convertible. She will have to pay her own insurance and buy her own gas. This is completely between my daughter and spouse; I refuse to have anything to do with this. Teenagers in Chicago don't need cars; many adults don't need them, either.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Our son just got his license today. We gave him a 1994 Ford Ranger truck a year ago. It was my husbands truck until we bought a bigger one. We fixed the brakes, bought new tires, paid for the oil to be changed, and any other maintenence it needed. He was more concerned whether or not it had a radio that anything else. His insurance is gonna be 350 every 6 months. He has been informed that we will pay his insurance until he gets a ticket or turns 18 which ever comes first. If he gets a ticket, he will be paying for his own insurance. He has to pay for his gas too. We have also told him that he is not allowed to drive unless he has a job. Neither of us were allowed to drive without a job. We had to ride the bus until we got one. Jake has had way to much handed to him and it is time he learn that he has to give a little to get a little.
    emtmom847

Answer by emtmom847 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2009