Why are my dishes coming out all powdery looking after being in the dishwashing machine?

I hate grabbing a dish and it is all powdery white on it...aarrgg I am using a cheaper brand of dishwasher soap...I guess we get what we paid for.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Home & Garden

• It may just be that you're using more than you need. If you have soft water, you can use a whole lot less than the makers of detergent want you to find out.

Try running the whole cycle through once or twice, empty, to rinse out the residue and then start by cutting the amount you use in half and see if that works well enough to clean your dishes.

Rinse aid may help -- it makes the dishes slicker so stuff doesn't stick when they're rinsing.

I find liquids have more gunk that doesn't dissolve -- which I think is really weird -- so I stick to the cheapest powder and find it works fine.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• The powders don't always dissolve in the dishwasher. Try the packets that have the gel in them that dissolve, the work better and also, don't buy the cheap stuff. You really do get what you pay for.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• The cheap stuff isn't worth it. I know they are more expensive, but since using the Cascade "Ultimate Button" gel pacs, I do not have a problem with the white stuff anymore. You should also use a rinse aid (Cascade, Jet Dry, etc.) because it does keep the dishes more spotless.

You might want to run your dishwasher empty with either Dishwasher Magic cleaner or just some plain vinegar. Then immediately after it's done, wipe it down to remove the food and residue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I'm glad that I saw this question! I have the same problem and am SO over washing the dishes by hand after they come out of the dishwasher. Will check into those gel packs! ; )
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 8:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2009