What To Do About a Gift I Bought for My Friend's Daughter...

I bought several small birthday gifts for a friend's 7 year old daughter. There is one larger gift, that as I was wrapping it, got run over by my two dogs (my fault, I was wrapping it on the floor and the doorbell rang.) It's one of those picture/note holders that you put on a wall - the notes are held on by ribbons criss crossing the fabric covered board. Anyway, it was the backing that got torn in two places - not real big, but definitely noticeable. You won't see it once it's hung on a wall.

Should I wrap it anyway and explain what happened (again, you won't see the tear once it's hung up) or should I not give it to her at all? My gut says it's kind of tacky to give it to her in that condition - and my other gut feeling says it's not a big deal - just explain what happened.

My gut is not being helpful today :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm with bhwrn1
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• see if you can exchange it... if not I say just explain the situation :)

Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• sorry my computer is being a pain in the ass today
    I would give it to her and explaine what happend
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Id probably not give it to her.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• No, who wants something ripped regardless of how it happened?
    Anonymous

• I'd take it back to the store and see if they are willing to exchange it with a new one! I wouldn't give her a broken one, back or not.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• What are you going to do with it, just give it to her and explain what happend! Its not like your giving her a broken toy that she cant use! She will still be able to use it and I am sure she will love it! Or like said before maybe try to exchange it!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 3:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I would give her the other gifts and bring that gift unwrapped and after the party and everyone has left, I would explain everything then ask if they want it since it's still good to use.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 3:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I'd sign the back of it 'from the puppies' with a big, messy paw print or two... and maybe the story written as an apology from them...

I wouldn't even suggest defrauding the store you bought it from -- how is it the store's fault you damaged something they sold? Why should the people earning their living from selling things to you pay for your dog's damage? How unethical!
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I would give her the other gifts wrapped, and then at another time or even after the party, give her the other one and explain. That way she is not embarassed opening it in front of people and it being torn.
    haileysmom2833

Answer by haileysmom2833 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2009