Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on how to wein my son off of breastfeeding?

My son is turning 2 soon. I stopped pumping when he turned 1 and only breastfeed him before bed, but he is almost 2 now and it is time to stop. It breaks my heart to say no to him and I tell him that he is a "big boy" now and that nursing is for little babies. He seems to understand but it is still so hard to say no to my little guy! He does drink out of a sippy cup...I think it's just the bond of being close to mommy and having that "mommy and baby time." Does anyone have any advice or suggestions that might help?

aidenmommy951

Asked by aidenmommy951 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe start by doing it every other night and the night you not breastfeeding him rock him in your arms before you put him to sleep, and maybe take days oway as you go good luck
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Why do you do things to yourself that break your heart?

Is there something magical that happens after the world has gone around the sun twice that makes breastfeeding different than it was 2 months ago? A week ago? If we counted in moons instead of rotations around the sun, what would be the 'right' time to stop (or start) something? It seems artificial to me, to look at the calendar to tell a human being they need (or don't need) something, rather than looking at the human being and seeing what, if anything, is needed.

I would suggest that you cease doing things that hurt you, and see if that doesn't make your life a little easier.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Sounds liek you don't want to stop...and you don't have to. But if you really do want to...you're doing the right things and no, he won't like it.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• toddler boyPLEASE HELP ME TOOOO!!! I'M IN THE SAME BOAT MY SO JUST TURNED 1 IN JUNE .I STARTED TO WEI N AT 9 MONTHS AND STILL WORKING ON IT .IT JUST TOOK ME 40 MIN TO PUT HIM FOR A NAP TODAY.IT BRAKES MY HEART TO,BUT I KNOW THAT I'M NOT HURTING HIM OR STARVING HIM. I WAS SO PROUD OF MY SELF.MY OLDER SON WAS 17 MONTHS WHEN HE WAS OFF.BUT HE WAS SO MUCH EASIER.YOU JUST HAVE TO LET HIM CRY.HE WANT LOVE YOU ANY LESS. THE BEST WAY IS TO LET SOMEONE ELSE PUT HIM TO SLEEP IF YOU CAN!! YOU CAN DO THIS SO CAN I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pattycake1120

Answer by pattycake1120 at 6:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2009