i'm sick. will i pass it on?

i breastfeed my baby but i just got sick nd i feel horrible. shuld i formula feed her for awhile until i get better or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Health

• No, continue to breastfeed. Your breastmilk will contain antibodies that will help your little one fight off the infection. When my ds was under three months my husband and I both caught nasty colds but because I was breast feeding my son did not get sick. The antibodies in my breastmilk protected him.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Unless you've been living in quarrantine since you were exposed, she's already been exposed to whatever you have and will get it or not based on her immune system. There are no illnesses that you get and suffer from with no period between exposure and symptoms... you were exposed probably late last week, and you've been with her since, which means she's exposed already.

Your breasts (supposing she's breastfeeding, not being fed expressed breastmilk, which interferes with this bond) make antibodies to what she's been exposed to on her behalf, because her immune system is not mature enough to thrive without your body's support. They also make antibodies to whatever you've been exposed to, just for her.

The worst thing you could do at this point is tax her system additionally (to what she's already been exposed to) by feeding her another mammal's modified milk AND remove her complementary immune system from her use.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Absolutely continue to breastfeed; this will give your baby the biggest boost to her immune shstem

Answer by rkoloms at 4:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2009