How many are going on vacation this year? With the economy so bad.

We are lucky and DH parents take the whole family somewhere every year. This year its Mrytle Beach. All you need to do is get yourself there, eat, and any entertainment you want you have to pay for. Lots of times we just barely made it somewhere and had enough money to eat. We are blessed. But I was wondering how many are going to miss a vacation this year. Stupid economy!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Travel

• we already went on our vacation we went to the coast, my hubby surprised my for our anniversity
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My amazing 17yo daughter took herself off to the UK for 2 weeks, just returned last Thursday. She's quite enjoying the distraught economy, because it pulled down the price of her flights, her food and many of the attractions she visited were on special or had more coupons than one would expect for London and Glasgow in June.

It's interesting, the amount of super-cheap stuff available.

Of course, that said -- my husband and I have never had a 'vacation' the way most people think of them. We have gone camping (but probably won't this year, with daughters working retail and children's summer camp programs), and away for weekends, to visit friends and relatives. But 'vacation' has never been high enough up our priority list to shove dining out or buying computers off the budget. In fact, in 24 years of marriage, lived exclusively 2400 miles away from his family, we've visited them once.

So, the economy hasn't change that.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• We are renting a place with another couple, fairly close by. Each couple gets there on their own and pays all expenses, except we split the cost of the rental. It works out nicely.

Answer by Bmat at 3:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I took a short vacation on my own to go to a huge dog event with my dogs. I roomed with another lady. I had been planning that trip for about a year, though. Otherwise, we aren't taking any vacations. But it's not because of the economy but because I'm pregnant with our first and due at the end of August. So we have to spend our money on getting stuff around for the baby. We do go on day trips though around the area.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Cam and I aren't taking our annual vacation that we usually do. We are, instead, planning short weekends away that aren't too expensive. The economy isn't really the factor though, we are just trying to pay off debt and keep our budget tight. :)
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 5:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• coulda swore I answered this question was my answer deleted?
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• We've skied in Aspen this Feb, 2 weeks in Disney in May, 1 week in Williamsburg, VA just last month. We've still got Lancaster, PA this month, long weekend in DC in Sept. and for the winter holidays instead of tons of silly gifts we're taking our two girls to a mountain resort Christmas week.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• We did not get to go to the beach last year and we are not going this year because husband is laid off work. But i searched on the internet, and i found about 5 local campgrounds thats pretty decent with swimming pools and all that range from a 30 - 60 minute drive from our house. The camping is cheap enough, and we have a large family tent and also a pop-up camper, so we will be taking a few short camping trips this summer. We already went on one camping trip just 17 miles from the house, nice campground with pool and all.
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 6:49 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• We did the camping thing for 3 weeks, we explored the Northwest a little more. We went all over and had a great time doing it but we had a great time. We found some great campgrounds for the family and kept really busy but did not spend a ton of money. We visited a lot of state parks, beaches, parks and gardens that did not cost any money. I think my husband was actually surprised at how much is out there that is free to do. Our campgrounds were all under 35 dollars a day so that really helped on lodging, we did not have to buy airline tickets like we usually do and we tried to prepare most of our meals ourselves. It was a great vacation and I was so glad that we were able to spend some wonderful quality time as a family. My husband is in the Navy so any oppotunity that he has to take off we jump on.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:39 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• We are going on vacation at the end of the month. We are camping in Pigeon Forge for 5 nights. We just had a couple of yard sales. Between the money we earned from them & the money we got for doing a health assessment at my husband's employer, we pretty much have vacation paid for.
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2009