do you feel we trivialise or downplay murder or other serious tragedies because they happen everywhere all time?

I guess I think about this sometimes. Is it only a big deal if it is close to home? Yet if I thought about it too much I could get depressed. I mean I cried a little when I found out that one of the clients I just met had a stillborn! But at the same time it bothers me when people say just another murder or who cares. Can we have compassion without being involved or becoming severly depressed?

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You know, I think we trivialize/down play death and murder because we as humans aren't really equipped to react emotionally to every thing that happens around us. We really only have the capacity to respond to a group of 150 people, give or take. If we concerned ourselves with every death/murder that we hear about on a daily basis, we would be a very very sad group of folks indeed.

On the other hand, there are people out there who are either scared to admit they feel empathy OR truly don't have the mental ability to do so. Those people are fewer and farther between though.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 3:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I don't think we down play it since we put the murderers away in prison or we send them to their own death. If we worried or cried every day about every death that happens we would never be happy. I do get sad to hear about any child/baby being killed or dieing, that one hits home, not that I've lost a child or anything. I think people avoid it because they just don't want to be sad about someone actually dieing.
    Anonymous

• I don't think anybody downplays anything. Most people just don't want to think about it. Thanks for reminding us.
    Anonymous

• If you didn't like it you didn't need to respond. Self accountability! The peron on the net didn't make you do anything. This was an honest heartfelt question. If I was acting like such a jerk I'd post anon too.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2009