what can I do to boost milk supply during pregnancy?

I was unable to breastfeed my son due to low milk supply. is there anything I can do now (36 weeks pregnant) to get a jumpstart on building a good supply?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Not really, your milk doesn't come in until 2-3 days after you have the baby....at this stage nipple stimulation and such can cause you to go into labor....You may just have to pump once you have the baby to help boost the supply.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• my mom had that problem, and she was told by her doctor to drink a glass of red wine, if you dont want to drink wine while pregnant, i dont blame you, try it once you have the baby, but red wine not white.
    Anonymous

• Your best option is to wait until you have the baby and then PUMP PUMP PUMP. I would BF my DD and then pump and that kept my milk going just fine. My Sept Sister however did the same thing and never got more than 1/2oz at a time so she wasn't able to BF. Just try to keep pumping. Good Luck!
    Truffles09

Answer by Truffles09 at 3:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• No, you cannot. Nothing you do now will make a difference.

When baby is born, get him to breast as quickly as possible, and keep him with you. Feed on demand, letting baby come off the first side on his own and then offering the second. No timing, no scheduling. Count dipes. One per day of life for the first week, 6-8 per day thereafter and even a tiny wet counts.

A lot of moms are mislead into thinking they havea low supply. That dipe count is the only TRUSTWORTHY indicator...what goes in has to come back out.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I have to agree with the PP. You can't do anything right now, but once your baby gets here let him suckle as much as possible and definitely feed on demand. I would not PUMP PUMP PUMP like someone mentioned pumping is not the same as direct breastfeeding. Babies are very efficient they will do a much better job helping you make more milk than any pump could. Also don't base anything on your first time. Each experience is different for every mother with every child. Also staying calm and not stressing helps a lot!
    angelbabies14

Answer by angelbabies14 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2009