Grandmother makes it seem like its her kid

My husband and i live with my G-Ma and ever since we became prego she acts like its her kid. She referrs to everything as "we" and not " you and josh". Like she tells us how to do things with our baby stuff, where to put it, when we should use it, how we should organize stuff. We will wake up and she'll have stuff all organized and put away and its in places i dont want it. we rearranged our room so we could have the crib in there and she made us do it her way. I mean ever mine and my hubbys bills she referrs to as hers also. She wants to be in control of everything. I'd say something but i dont want it to come out wrong and plus we lost my gpa a year ago and id feel bad. I dont know how to deal with it. when my sister was born she was the same way with my mom. There eve was a fite during her labor. I dont want that to happen. Any advice?????

CJK_2009

Asked by CJK_2009 at 3:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (-2 Credits)
  • im sure she is just trying to help. she may feel like she is more experienced in the "child rearing" and trying to give you some tips and she may not realise how much she is going overboard. im sure she has the best intentions...as far as how to handle it-i cant help you with that....sorry :)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Well since you live with her there is not much you can do...but I do believe she is just feeling the connection of her offspring. Don't make her feel bad soon she will be gone one day and then you will be crying bc you miss her so cherish the moment.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• plus it might be her way of trying to cop with losing ur grandpa... i mean she is trying to keep her mind off of it by helping you and stuff, my mom and grandma both went through that when we lost my nephew. They just tried and helped to keep the pain out of there mind
    Anonymous

• just let her say whatever she wants maybe that's how she is coping with her husbands death I would just do what is best for me and just let what she says go into one ear and go out the other, and as for your baby room put things back were you want them and if she don't like it say nicely to her look grandma I know your trying to help we apreciate that but this way is much better for us and our baby.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Can you not compromise with her? Things that truely don't matter to you let her have her way but if it is something major then be nice but firm.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I would say let her talk but follow your own advice.

Let her talk because confronting her will only make both of you angry and resentful.

When she questions your methods, remind her that this is YOUR AND YOUR HUSBAND'S child and the TWO OF YOU are raising the baby as you see fit.

When she says her method is better, say you'll take that into consideration but want to figure things out yourselves, AS A COUPLE.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 11:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2009