recipe measurements advice

I have a soup recipe that calls for 1 quart chicken broth and 1 cup dry white wine. I have a quart container of a culinary chicken broth that already has white wine in it, as well as some herbs. Can I just use this quart, or do I need to add something else to make up for the extra cup of liquid? It's a garlic cream soup.

PSMother

Asked by PSMother at 3:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• you can use the chicken broth u have, just add a half cup of water and 2 tbsp of butter and it will work good...
    Anonymous

• Depending on what else is in the soup, you may need another cup of liquid. If you have a can of chicken broth, use that in addition. If you don't have more broth and you have some chicken bouillon cubes, use one of those and a cup of water. If you don't have either of those, you could add just one cup of plain water but it might affect the flavor of your soup just a bit. You could start out with the quart that you have and see what the consistency is like. Then if it's too thick, you could add the other cup of water.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I never measure when I cook, I do everything by taste. That is the way I learned to cook from my grandmothers. The only time I measure is when I bake and I rarely do that.

You should be able to use the broth you have, just add a bit more water.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2009