I would like to know about base living in Germany??

We are about to move to Germany in 2 months and I would like to know anything about is it over there that would help my with the move.. I have three kids and we are going to be living on base and we have not move over seas before so usure what we need to do and should do.. Please help!!

Usmcmama

Asked by Usmcmama at 4:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Travel

• Enjoy Germany and other countries around Germany.
    Good food,good beer..nice people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Well we are in Italy, so I'm sure its about the same! Check for CM groups for your base, there are alot in Germany. the obvious stuff, passports, visa's. you may want to ship your HHG's ahead of time, because it will take about two months for them to get to you. same with your car, make sure the car is travel safe. it would really help if you try to learn the language now. I dont know if its the same there as it was here, but we couldnt get on a housing waiting list til we were actually in Italy, so check up on that and save for a hotel it you need one. We are Army, so things may be different for you too. If you have pets and plan to bring them shop around for cheap pet tickets, then ask your travel agent to book you on that flight instead of the one they usually go through, make sure they have travel passports and shots. if you can get hold of some kids books for learning german that would get your kids interested too.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:23 AM on Jul. 8, 2009

• cont.. If you can, ask for a flight during night time, so your kids will sleep most of the way. on the plane make sure you have diapers, bottles, quiet toys, small snacks, coloring books, a favorite blankie. the flight will be 14-20 hours depending on where your flying from. if you have a portable dvd player that would be good to bring some cartoons. hmm.. i think thats about it, but if you need any more info just message me. I will give you any help I can!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:26 AM on Jul. 8, 2009