What to do when a mother is asked " why are so many people are against Catholics? "

This is the exact question my son asked me. I told him because they don't understand and are taught to hate us. What other Christian religion gets talked about and trashed as much as the Catholic Church? On Christmas and Easter how many other leaders have their service on CNN every single year.

What else can a mother tell a child who hears so much negativity about the religion he follows? He is 16 now and a strong Catholic.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, if it's Protestants doing the trash talk, it's because they have to justify their division from the body of Christ. I tell my children that the people trashing Catholicism either don't understand it, or are disobedient (i.e., don't want to follow GOD's law). I teach my children to never demean people of other faiths or denominations, but not to be surprised if people demean them. It even says in the bible that we will be treated poorly by others.
    Anonymous

• i am not Catholic but they get no more negative attention than different religions.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I am not Catholic and I agree with PP, that they get no more negativity than any other religion...
    Just tell your son to stand firm with his convictions...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• SThompson21, I have to respectfully disagree with you. Catholics have been discriminated in the U.S. since the beginning. Despite puritans coming here for religious freedom, they didn't want it for Catholics. In my home state, it used to be illegal to be Catholic. You had to be a WASP -- White Anglo-Saxon PROTESTANT to have any rights or priveleges.
    Anonymous

• continued from above -- I have encountered so much anti-Catholic sentiment in my adult life and on CafeMom that is is ridiculous. The good we do is ignored. We aren't looked upon as individuals but instead are stereotyped. It's pathetic.
    Anonymous

• I will have to agree with anon :14 the Catholic religion is discriminated more than any other Christian religion. However, I think it is just because we are doing it right and others are tyring to justify their beliefs.

Anonymous

• i would just say 'because they dont understand the religion"..im sure i will have to tell my son that alot as he grows up (im a satanist)
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Yes, usually it comes from fear or not fully understanding the Catholic Faith. I think you handled it just fine.
    Anonymous

• first of all, im glad that you can disagree and be respectful about it. i really appreciate that...you dont see it much anymore :)
    i was not aware of that information. i was raised southern baptist and my grandparents are catholic. i honestly have never really paid attention to other religions...that sounds really bad but its always been "ok so they believe differently-thats cool" kind of thing. i was raised to embrase differences. my information is based only on things i have noticed. it has become common (too common) to hear religions being bashed and hated no matter what religion or denomination it is. where is your home state? just out of curiousity
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My MIL and SIL are both devot Catholics and I have NEVER seen them get any type of negativity thrown at them... I have seen here on CM alot of hatred from ALL religious secs thrown at each other...
    Believe me those who are NOT of a Christian sec are by far the most targeted, but irregardless, you get negativity from ALL forms of religions and lack of ...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2009