When will my babies NEED to eat solid foods?

So I have twins who are 8 months old and FF. We've been giving them solid food since around 6-7 months. They HATE purees now and wont eat them so I give them finger foods. They dont eat very much tho and some days we only have one or two meals or even none depending on how busy the day is. They get around 40 oz each of formula a day no matter what. Am I terrible for not encouraging them to eat more?

YoungTwinMommy

Asked by YoungTwinMommy at 4:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• To answer the question at hand: No, you are not terrible for not encouraging them to eat more.

Like it's been said, the solids are just for practice. If they don't want to eat, it's better to NOT force them, then give them a negative opinion of food.

And Kudos to you for not giving them CRAP. Gosh. I understand we are not always healthy 110% of the time, but sometimes I just do a *headdesk* over the things some people feed their kids on a DAILY basis.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:21 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Contrary to modern ideas/beliefs.. You can feed your baby baby food as early as 3 months

Answer by louise2 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Ok, thanks, but that doesnt answer my question AT ALL!
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 4:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Do u give them yoguart - like yoplay with Dora on the front? If they have teeth they can eat alot if u break it up into small pieces- just not anything real hard. My son eats 2 handfuls of cherrios evry morning- hes 1yr old. He has fruit still and yoguart and those gerber dried up yoguart pieces in the package. He eats baby cookies- the one with cookie monster- vanilla. He loves jello pudding, he eats little pieces of chesse. He likes pop tarts broken up small- white bread no crust with butter, he ate alittle mashed potatoe- he doesnt like noodles yet- He had jello yesterday 1st time. He still has 3 bottles of milk and 2 bottles of juice per day- starting on a sippy cup soon. He was given alittle hamburger did not like it. He had white birthday cake. Just try alittle of everything as u eat it. I will not take away his baby food fruit yet cause he just picks at our food.
    Anonymous

• Check out the reasons for delaying solids on kellymom.com...still valid even with formula.

And your kids don't NEED solid foods till one year. It's for experimentation for now, not nutrition.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I think they should eat alittle more- but if the doctor says they are putting on weight dont worry. The formula is the most important in the first year of life- then on to milk.
    Anonymous

• My doctor told me to giv ehim finger foods to teach him how to feed himself and use his hands and fingers- but formula breastmilk is the main thing for the first year.
    Anonymous

• Until one year, the better part of nutrition comes from formula, so you are good. They are taking in enough formula. Solids supplement the diet and help them learn to eat table foods, but aren't going to be the main source of nutrition until after your child is one. Mine's the same way. She'll eat pureed fruit, but not much else.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 4:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• The may not NEED solids until a year, but they need practice with them so that when they turn one they know what they're doing.

When my daughter went off pureed foods it seemed like she was practically starving because she didn't eat very much, but she's doing a lot better now. I hear a lot that kids will have set backs around that age. Just make sure to offer them food to give them the opportunity to take it.

There were times that my lo would just sit and stare at the green beans and wouldn't even pick one up, when I would try to feed her one she'd blow a raspberry with her tongue and wouldn't take it. Now she'll eat so many green beans so quickly I'm amazed!! Just keep offering and they'll get the hang of it soon.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• What gdiamante said.
    Also don't give your baby character yogurt packed with sugar!
    Anonymous