Getting my 8 month old girls to sleep through the night. CIO?

We go to bed at 8 every night and both of them are up at 2am and need a back rub, pacifier sometimes bottle. Then they're at it again by 4:30-5:00am. We give them a bottle. Then they are up for the day by 8:00am. My husband and I are going CRAZY since we haven't been sleeping since they were born. What do we do? CIO? Any help?

YoungTwinMommy

Asked by YoungTwinMommy at 4:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A couple of things to try:
    What's in that bottle? Milk? They don't need it and it's can rot their teeth. Water only. Yes, they will be pissed. Oh well. Mine dropped to one overnight wake up call when I did that.
    If you do go in, no back rubs, no binkies returned to the crib, no talking, no shhhhh noises, don't even look them in the eye. Be Mrs. Boring. The more you interact with them, the more they think "Wow! Fun game! Let's get mom back in her again tomorrow night!"
    If yours start the fun game of "throw all the stuffed animals and binkies out and scream until someone gives them back", don't play. Either put in a crib tent so they can't throw them out (also prevents early climbing out of the crib) or simply let them cry. "Fetch" is not a fun game to play at 2am.
    Keep in mind that they are old enough to start noticing rules and doing things on purpose. Sometimes you have to frustrate them to get the rules changed.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I've noticed that CIO not only doesn't teach babies to sleep...it makes parents sleep LESS. If yours wake only twice you're doing FABULOUSLY...most eight month olds wake up FAR more frequently than that.

Go pick up a copy of "The No Cry Sleep Solution." It will help. But please understand...parenthood means never sleeping eight hours straight again. Never. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 4:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Sounds like they have a set schedule going. Maybe try to let them cry for about 10 or 15 mintues before you tend to them to help lengthen the time between feeds/interaction. Over time, you can extend it more. Some kids get really set in their schedules and it's hard to change. others just need that extra feed. You've got the added pleasure of having one child wake another. It's possible that each wakes one time at night and then that one wakes the other too. not sure what else to say but welcome to being a mom! :) At least they are waking to feed. there's nothing worse than waking to a screaming baby who is laying in her own vomit! Uggg.
    Anonymous

• Do they go to bed without crying? I personally would let them cry for a couple of minutes to see if they can learn to self soothe. Don't let them get so worked up they can't go back to sleep, but some crying won't hurt. I'm sure I'll get flack from the CIO haters, but my 10-month-old sleeps through the night.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 4:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I agree that "The No Cry Sleep Solution" works for lots of babies and is a good book. But be aware that "lots" is not "all". It actually made things far worse for me. It is worth a try but just because something is in a popular book, if it's not working for you, drop it.
    I also like "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". Great developmental advice for all ages. It also stresses just how important sleep is to a child's overall development and the long term harm of too little sleep.

And in the end, I did have to let mine cry it out. None of the "gentle, loving" methods worked and the more I tried, the more she woke up. As I said, "No Cry" isn't for every baby. Once I bit the bullet and let mine cry, she was sleeping from bedtime to morning nearly every night within 2 nights. No one method is right for every baby. CIO may not work for you. "No Cry" may not either.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I am on the same page as Kaycee. My DD is very very stubborn and CIO has been the only method that works for us.
    Anonymous

• Well, my son from day 1 of all day colic til 5 months old didn't fit this bill - he had such severe colic he never learned to self sooth so at 8 months old and him waking up to 8 times a night and after I tried EVERY method in the no cry sleep solution, the healthiest baby on the block and healthy sleep habits, happy child -i HAD to do the CIO but I agree that only 2 times at 8 month doesn't seem horrible - only cause you hear those people brag about their 6 week old sleeping through the night but its true at 8 months they don't NEED the bottles anymore and patting them on the back only will teach them to need that rubbing to get to sleep every night - I suggest getting a few books with many methods in each one and start seeing what works with your girls.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• personally i only used the cio method when i would try everything else first, and she would cry when i was holding her or not holding her, then i would put her in her crib (after trying feeding, changing diaper, binki, and everything else i could think of) im not against cio, but i think it should be when there's no soothing the baby otherwise....now when they get older, i believe its different but 8 months is still young for that, my dd woke up a couple times too for food or binki usually.
    good luck, maybe you and hubby should take turns being on baby duty for the night and the one that has to get up that night should get a nap during the day. my dd is almost 3 and i still rarely get a full 8hrs sleep! welcome to motherhood, you'll get used to it :)
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• We did the Ferber method... the book was called Solve Your Childs Sleep solutions... it is AMAZING! Mostly it teaches you what you are doing to prevent your child from being a good sleeper and sleeping on their own. Change those things and it's most of the problem solved. There is a little of CIO... but honestly my son hardly cried... he was sleeping on his own by day 4 and not waking in the middle of the night anymore. TOTAL in the 3 days he cried 15 minutes combined!! I don't think that is too much... it was like 8 mins the first night, 5 the next and like 1 the last night.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2009